good starting polisher/buffer?

bushwacked

Not the normal thing for here, but I was looking to make some firesteels for me and some buddies and make some custom knife handles as well plus maybe just sell some to bring in a little extra cash.

I was looking to hand sand the wood up to a pretty high grit .. like 1200 or 1600 then buff out the rest to get a nice glossy look to it. I was not sure if the buffing wheel would do a better job or if actual finish would be better? They will be used roughly and banged around so I was not sure how well a finish would hold on.

So I was thinking of grabbing an entry level buffer to get the job done and not spend a ton of money in the process. I was thinking something like: https://www.amazon.com/POLISHER-BUFFER--Polishing-Buffing-diameter/dp/B00OTWHYVI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1467382403&sr=8-8&keywords=benchtop+buffer

its is variable speed and I have read that the slower the better and if you can get around 1800 RPM it would be ideal for this.

Pic for a better idea of what I am wanting to do. *This is not my pic*

DSCF8381.jpg

zjjio1.jpg

Buffer looks decent. The handles in those pictures look like they have had some sort of finish before polishing. Polished raw wood shows every pore and it is easy to pack any buffing compound into the pores (and hard to get it out) Plus any moisture could raise the grain and dull the polished surface.  Many types of pore fillers and finishes will work but they need to be completely dry and cured before polishing. I suppose oil/wax could be polished but the surface wouldn't be as durable.

• Like 1

1.82 amps should be pretty easy to stall, even with those little wheels.  Sometimes you want to put a bit of pressure against the buffing wheel, and that requires some horsepower.  I confess to be a little spoiled to an old Baldor on a pedestal with 10" wheels though.

• Like 1

BW, you need a really closed-pore wood to get it looking good with just a polished surface. And it won't last long. Have you considered CA glue as a polishable, yet tough coating? I've used it to make wooden guitar picks and small jewelry items. I like to flood on the thinnest glue I can get, then sand to 2000 grit and buff. It holds uo really well.

• Like 1

BW, you need a really closed-pore wood to get it looking good with just a polished surface. And it won't last long. Have you considered CA glue as a polishable, yet tough coating? I've used it to make wooden guitar picks and small jewelry items. I like to flood on the thinnest glue I can get, then sand to 2000 grit and buff. It holds uo really well.

Ya I have read about that CA glue. When do you apply it. Like after what grit?

43 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

Ya I have read about that CA glue. When do you apply it. Like after what grit?

I use a 2x72" belt variable speed grinder for my knives I will usually final shape/sand the scales with 600 grit.  If I use CA for the finish I will apply  between 3 and 6 coats gently sanding between coats.  With CA I usually use paste wax and don't buff.  If I do buff I use white jewelers compound with a soft wheel.  I am not a huge fan of CA glue finish I find it hard to get a consistent finish, but there a folks that love it and that is  all they use.  Check out some knife forums there is a ton of good info out there, and good luck.  My buffer is just a modified 1.5hp grizzly motor that I found a a garage sale, it spins at 1750 rpm.

r