Staircase remodel

Andy Wright

This is a fairly simple project, but hopefully will make a big difference in our home when its finished. The original staircase has oak treads and traditional painted wooden spindles. The plan is to replace the newel post, refinish the treads and banister, freshen up the paint, and replace the wooden spindles with steel spindles

IMG_20160627_184515010.jpg

First step is to remove the newel post so that we can install a more substantial post. I had to build a jig so that I could cut off the banister using my track saw. This is the only time that I have ever wished I had the TS75 because I had to cut the last 1/2" with a handsaw

IMG_20160628_141936600_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160628_144750184_HDR.jpg

Next step was to remove the banister and install the replacement newel post. Several of the stair treads are creaky, so I am planning to pull them all off and refinish them in the shop. In this picture you can see that the first step has been removed and run through the drum sander. I had to cut this step so that it would fit around the new post. The other steps won't need to be cut (just sanded and refinished)

IMG_20160630_222641860.jpg

Next step is the remove the rest of the treads and install temporary mdf stair treads. Then lots of sanding and staining

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan G said:

Looking great. Love the box newel and the difference it has already made in the look of your staircase.

how do the metal balusters get secured? Epoxy?

Yes, the manufacturer sells an epoxy that is 15 min open time and extra thick like a paste. I'm sure I could use any epoxy but I bought the one they recommend