Practise Cabriole w/ B&C

davewyo

I used to do a lot of painting; was really into the Impressionist movement. Many of the Impressionists dug the Old Master's work with prints; wood cuts, etchings, and engravings. Rembrandt and Durer were freakishly good. The examples of Japanese masters (like Hokusai) which they came across (because prints were used as packing paper to pack exports to Europe) were incredibly influential. All that to say, I have done some carving on flat surfaces for wood cuts.

As for the ball and claw, it's surprisingly easier than I expected. Like most woodworking operations, it's a process. If you follow the process, and scribe some good lines, it goes fairly well. Grain direction is challenging, of course. Sharp tools are a must. I recently took up stropping in order to get an edge on curved tools.

6 minutes ago, sjk said:

Dammit @davewyo, now I'm going to have to get me some carving gouges and try one.  Yours is coming out great!

Definitely give it a try. Check out a couple of Y-Tube videos. There are some innovative ways to do the band saw work without having to use double-stick tape to tack the cut-offs back on. Phil Lowe's multi-video demonstration is worth watching. He reduces the process to a reasonable succession of steps and gives you tips on some of the pitfalls along the way.

25 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

That's pretty slick, Dave! I've done a little carving in the round, and I can say there is nothing particularly "easy" about ball and claw. Especially at that reduced scale. Sharp tools and patience help a lot, but the work in your photos show a good bit of skill on top if that!

Thanks Ross! Rest assured, I didn't show the backside of the ball and claw where the ball doesn't line up at all. It's good to do practice sessions, I can tell you that. :)If I was to continue carving and make the ball line up all the way around with the worse side, I wouldn't have a ball and claw. It would be more like "claw holding a grain of sand".

• Like 1