Can I polyurethane an already oil treated counter top to use as a desk

jocko2

Was wondering if I can polyurethane (oil based) over an IKEA counter top that is oil treated from the factory.  I want to use the counter top as a desk top for a computer / homework desk.  Going out on a limb I would think that maybe the factory oil treatment is linseed oil based as that is what IKEA's wood treatment in the can that they recommend for maintenance on this item is.  the link to the wood counter top is below,

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40274960/#/80274963

any thoughts or suggestions would be super appreciated.

Jocko

No idea what ikea uses....Ideally you'd sand it down to bare wood. If you're hoping to avoid that, you're gonna wanna test whatever you do on the underside in a small area and give it a couple days to cure and see how it does.

I think if you do a coat of shellac first, you'll probably have good luck with any varnish you want on top of that.

If it's already dry, you can use an oil based polyurethane!  Put at least 3 coats, sanding with 220 grit lightly between each coat!  Then buff with #0000 steel wool, wipe it clean, then a wax finish!  All you'll have to do after that is re wax every few months!