Week long fishing trip

Gixxerjoe04

Awesome, looks beautiful.  A dream of mine...I'll do the Boundary Waters one day.

Is that your Wenonah or did you rent the canoes?  Those are nice boats for rentals.

How were the bugs?  We were on the Current River in southern MO last weekend and we got killed by the house flies and horseflies.  We were talking about how bad the bugs are supposed to be up north in the summer.  You didn't mention it so I guess you escaped their fury unscathed.

We rented the canoes from an outfitter, was about $180 for the rental, fishing license and permits, had to buy food and booze so pretty cheap vacation.  The canoes were nice and light, we only had to do two portages about 1/3 of a mile each, that part def wasn't fun but paddling miles into the wind going to our campsite sucked especially since I just go canoeing on big creeks here so you don't actually have to paddle.  Coming back yesterday wasn't bad, basically no wind and my muscles were use to it.  The mosquitoes and black flies were pretty bad, we had a few windy days which kept them away which was nice.  What sucked is bug spray had 0 effect on them.  One day we were fishing and couldn't see behind us because of the trees, heard thunder and finally looked and a big storm came rolling through, paddled our arms off to get back to camp, got a little wet but made it back before the big stuff hit.  Then another day the wind picked up a ton while we were out, awful head wind, had some real big waves.  Powered through it but def had my butthole puckered a couple times when some big waves hit.  Was a lot of work but really cool experience, last year the guys saw the northern lights, would have loved to see them this year but didn't.

On 7/3/2016 at 10:00 PM, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Yea, the number 6 pic weighed a little over 2lbs and pic 10 was 5lbs 2 ounces, ate the 5lb one and was an idiot and left the other on a stringer over night because it was raining and didn't want to clean it.  Turtle or otter ate most of it, we pulled the carcass out and laid it on a rock hoping an eagle would grab it.  Had one fly by real close but didn't take it so little minks and seagulls ate the rest.  The pics don't really give the 5lb one justice.

I've camped across a lot of MN but never the boundary waters. Some day ...

Last week i was camping just south of you at Split Rock Lighthouse and saw some of that same bad weather roll through. The storms were very pretty but we stayed plenty south of them.

13620063_10101034585544409_8799685453823

This was the storm Thursday the picture doesn't do it justice. It's a good thing your interaction with the local wildlife was positive. We were chased out of our campground (figuratively) Thursday night by a Big mamma black bear and her cub. Some people ignored the bear warnings and left food all over their campsites and then chased the bear around all day long.

Yea the storm was pretty crazy, we saw it and had to book it 2 miles back to our camp, it was slowly getting closer and started pouring down rain while we were about a mile away.  Then all of a sudden it stopped raining on us but was raining on both sides of us then stopped until we got to camp and poured for a few hours.  The next day while out we got some crazy head wind coming in, the waves were 2-3 feet at times.  We were gonna pull off and hold out but there wasn't any place close by so had to battle through it.  Had a couple waves comes over the front but luckily kept the canoe straight the whole time, if we would have got sideways it could have been bad.  Just made more cool stories for the trip haha, the good thing about our campsite was it being an island and not a huge one so didn't have to worry about big animals, wish I could have got to see some big animals from a distance.

14 hours ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

the good thing about our campsite was it being an island and not a huge one so didn't have to worry about big animals, wish I could have got to see some big animals from a distance.

My buddy does some fly fishing guiding out west and he ran into this guy on his last trip.  He was in a drift boat so not quite as scary, but to stumble across him on foot?  No thanks.

• Like 1