I decided to give up ...

jplemons

I thought I could get by without a table saw, and I'm sure someone else could, can and does. But that guy is not me. I've run into complication after complication, which has cost me time and materials, let alone my patience. So I've decided to press pause on my chest of drawers project and just work on some shop improvement projects until I can gather funds to buy a table saw. I'll have to do some re-arranging of the my garage, but I think I'll be much happier with this hobby in the long run.

I've never used a table saw before, however, and am quite concerned about safely teaching myself how to use it and keeping all my digits. I've already had one mishap with a severed tendon on my left hand and have no desire to spend another year rehabbing something like that -- let alone all the time I'd have to spend away from my other passion. My wife has said that the only saw I should be looking at is a Sawstop, and I'm not arguing.

• Like 1

I am like Shane, I have the SawStop, but you still want to take the time and find the resources to learn how to use the table saw safely.  You want the safety feature of the SawStop to be an added benefit, not a crutch.

• Like 1

There are certainly valid arguments for the slider / tablesaw-less shop.  The styles I work in have more pieces with perpendicular edges than those without.  This is not to say I wouldn't die without my bandsaws, shaves and rasps for curves.

A chest of drawers would be one piece that normally would benefit greatly from a tablesaw in my shop.  This has less to do with being brought up tablesaw-centric in my thinking and more to do with the right tool for the job (for me).

There are many good books on the subject of use and safety.  With no offense intended to Jim Toplin and the like would pass on books like "Tablesaw Magic" and so forth for now. At this stage you are not interested in pushing the tool to its functional limits.  You want a good solid baseline of use and safety procedures.  The confidence and more creative use of the tool may come later if required.  Just go to Amazon, select the Books section and do a search on the word "tablesaw".

Disclaimer - I started getting real wordy and so sent a PM to avoid putting anyone to sleep ;-)

Good safety practices and a well functioning saw with a riving knife, splitter and/or guard really minimizes your chances of an accident.  Unfortunately for the poor tablesaw, the folks gathering statistics on tablesaw "accidents" only count incidents and do not factor in that most of the time the "accident" was the operator's fault.

I have the Saw Stop PCS 3HP and would have bought it even without the safety feature so I too think you are on the right track.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Nothing wrong with being on the bottom if you have a killer guard ! You still do bjj ?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, that's my other passion. It changed my life -- dropped 40 pounds and helped rehab my hands. Before I started I was coming off rehabbing my left hand after severing a finger's tendon. I developed carpal tunnel as well, and they were saying I'd need more surgery. That was five or so years ago. No more surgeries, no blood pressure issues. I enjoy the mental and physical challenge.

Yes, that's my other passion. It changed my life -- dropped 40 pounds and helped rehab my hands. Before I started I was coming off rehabbing my left hand after severing a finger's tendon. I developed carpal tunnel as well, and they were saying I'd need more surgery. That was five or so years ago. No more surgeries, no blood pressure issues. I enjoy the mental and physical challenge.

Thats awesome. I had the opposite happen. I had to stop because of injuries. I have a neuroma in my left foot (which i need surgery for) from it smashing into the mats so often. I also have a some calcification or bone growth on the side of my big toe that needs to be filed down as well. When the surgeon told me this I stopped. I have four kids to run after so that took precedence.

• Like 1

Ouch. I hear you though. I've had my share of the usual injuries related to BJJ, but nothing too bad -- knock on wood. Being old(er) doesn't help with the recovery time, either. It's taken me nearly two months to get back to full training after popping a rib cartilage. But it's so much a part of my weekly routine that I go through withdrawals when I miss my training schedule.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jplemons said:

Ouch. I hear you though. I've had my share of the usual injuries related to BJJ, but nothing too bad -- knock on wood. Being old(er) doesn't help with the recovery time, either. It's taken me nearly two months to get back to full training after popping a rib cartilage. But it's so much a part of my weekly routine that I go through withdrawals when I miss my training schedule.

My best friend is a black belt (Gracie Barra Montreal) and he recently had to stop as well due to a wrist injury that probably will never be good enough to do jitz again. He is pretty depressed. He's been doing it for around 18 years. Good thing he stopped as he is an MD and having a wrist that doesn't work isnt really conducive to being a Doctor. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gee-dub said:

the folks gathering statistics on tablesaw "accidents" only count incidents and do not factor in that most of the time the "accident" was the operator's fault.

While obviously you aren't trying to talk anyone out of Sawstop.. personally this particular statistic, whether it is true or not, does not make me want one less. I want to take all the precautions in the world - but when I mess up - I want that safety feature. In my opinion, on a long enough time line, everyone will eventually make a mistake that can result in an accident.

I used to have a safety video VCR tape. It really taught me most of my table saw techniques that keep me safe.

Why and how to align the saw makes for safer way and a improvement to my attitude.

I like useing good blades and can't see myself using a saw that will destroy one.

But if it feels right to you then that's what matters.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 3:25 PM, jplemons said:

On 7/5/2016 at 4:05 PM, shaneymack said:

Thats awesome. I had the opposite happen. I had to stop because of injuries. I have a neuroma in my left foot (which i need surgery for) from it smashing into the mats so often. I also have a some calcification or bone growth on the side of my big toe that needs to be filed down as well. When the surgeon told me this I stopped. I have four kids to run after so that took precedence.

I'm surprised that there are people on this forum that also grapple. I quit when my daughter was born, and she was giving my wife and I a run for our money. I am desperately trying to get back into it, but paying $120 a month is a hard pill to swallow now that I have a kid to provide for.. Plus, I don't know how I would be able to juggle working full time, being the father that I want to be, do woodworking, and BJJ. Any tips? lol

• Like 1

I'm lucky, in a sense. My wife is fully supportive of my BJJ time because she sees the fitness change. In turn, I support her in her kickboxing and fitness training she does on the side. Fitness to us has become something we must do. My son is 13, so it's much easier in some ways now than when he was younger. But I'll miss training days here and there for family things. I'm a high school special education teacher, so again I'm lucky to have spurts of time away from work. But during the school year, it gets hectic. Work, getting my son to and from football, rugby and baseball, watching games, training and working on my shop. But I enjoy it all. 

12 hours ago, Aj3 said:

I don't make mistakes like that

Must be nice to be perfect.  Its not always a mistake, sometimes it is something un-forseen and out of your control, don't kid yourself into believing other wise.  I am not saying you will have an accident but it doesn't hurt to have some "extra" safety in place if it does happen.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2016 at 7:42 AM, Aj3 said:

I used to have a safety video VCR tape. It really taught me most of my table saw techniques that keep me safe.

Why and how to align the saw makes for safer way and a improvement to my attitude.

I like useing good blades and can't see myself using a saw that will destroy one.

But if it feels right to you then that's what matters.

As you say,  good technique avoids injury.  The same applies to not misfiring the Saw Stop mechanism.  If the system fires under correct circumstances . . . I will forgive the loss of a blade ;-)

13 hours ago, Chet K. said:

Better the blade then you hand.

Ding, ding, ding.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that there are people on this forum that also grapple. I quit when my daughter was born, and she was giving my wife and I a run for our money. I am desperately trying to get back into it, but paying $120 a month is a hard pill to swallow now that I have a kid to provide for.. Plus, I don't know how I would be able to juggle working full time, being the father that I want to be, do woodworking, and BJJ. Any tips? lol

Lol. Ya kids will do that. I haven't even been to the gym to workout (weights/cardio) since our fourth was born last year. I will eventually get back to that as its something ive done since im 15 but I dont see myself ever going back to BJJ. Too much chance for injury and I want to be healthy for my family and to be able to woodwork !

I was trying out for the 9th grade basketball team and I asked the basketball coach if I should stick with BB or try out for wrestling,  He said, "Try out for wrestling".  I am pretty sure that the wrestling coach would have told me to try out for basketball......I didn't ask.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Lol. Ya kids will do that. I haven't even been to the gym to workout (weights/cardio) since our fourth was born last year. I will eventually get back to that as its something ive done since im 15 but I dont see myself ever going back to BJJ. Too much chance for injury and I want to be healthy for my family and to be able to woodwork !

I agree that there is a chance for injury, but there is something about it that makes me feel good that I can't get out of most things in life. Plus a very good friend of mine is a pretty damn legit mma fighter and runs the gym. Not many people can understand wanting your bestfriend to kick your ass lol

• Like 1