Spanish Cedar bathtub caddy

MisterDrow

Beginner project here...

My wife wanted a bathtub caddy for our oversized soaker tub. I chose Spanish Cedar for the project because it was much prettier than regular cedar from the big box store. My original design was slightly more complex but I went for simplicity in the end. Not the most elegant thing but it's functional and my wife loves it!

Finished it with three coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish. It's way shinier than the pic portrays. 

https://imgur.com/a/8cKoP

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Looks great Mister ! Is the caddy something you sit on or is it to put things on while your in the bath?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It's something to put things on. she loves to read in the tub and occasionally have a glass of wine while soaking... This just gives an extra surface that adds convenience to the experience. 

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks nice! Be sure to update us on how the finish holds up in the moist environment.

I'm hoping it will be okay. Worst case, if I have to sand it down and reapply I'll use something more directly suited to a moist environment. I had talked to so many people and got answers ranging from, "It's cedar, don't bother finishing it." to, "It doesn't matter what you finish it with, it won't last."

in the end, I just wanted to finish it (it sat uncompleted in the garage for over two months) so my wife could use it. I have shellac, poly, and the Formby's stuff on hand and went with Formby's. 

• Like 2