Underdeveloped Skills. Looking for a new saw.

lewisc

Most of my work is done using machines. I've never developed great hand skills so I'm choosing a few small projects to work on my hand skills.

The first one I'm looking at is a small box by Gary Rogowski: https://www.startwoodworking.com/sites/default/files/sushi-box-plan.pdf. It's simple yet challenging enough to learn some good skills. 

To begin this, I'm looking for some new tools. Specifically a saw of some sort. I like the look of the Veritas saws and they fit the budget. Can you hand tool experts recommend a good saw that would do the job as well as be good for other work. 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 8.58.59 PM.png

1 hour ago, lewisc said:

The begin this, I'm looking for some new tools. Specifically a saw of some sort. I like the look of the Veritas saws and they fit the budget. Can you hand tool experts recommend a good saw that would do the job as well as be good for other work. 

I like the Veritas saws, they work great for me. Apart from fine woodwork what "other work" were you thinking of?

45 minutes ago, h3nry said:

I like the Veritas saws, they work great for me. Apart from fine woodwork what "other work" were you thinking of?

Maybe the better word would be "projects". I want to start doing more hand cut joinery in soft and hard timbers on boxes, drawers etc. 

The brand isn't really important, as long as the price fits your budget, the handle fits your hand, and the saw plate is straight with sharp teeth.

A bigger question is what type of saw to get - And that depends on what exactly you're going to do with it, and how much you are going to use your machines.

If you wanted to build that Rogowski box entirely by hand, and limit yourself to just ONE joinery saw, I'd probably suggest a cross-cut carcass saw. It's small enough to do some pretty fine work, and big enough to cut most joinery on small-medium projects, and if I had to choose I'd rather rip with a cross-cut saw than cross-cut with a rip saw. If you were going to add a second saw, then something filed for rip-cutting, again a carcass saw would be a good general purpose size, but if your projects will mostly be small boxes and dovetailed drawers maybe a dovetail saw. You'll probably still cut larger joints on your machines, so smaller saws probably make more sense.

• Like 2

Veritas are great. You know how much you want to spend so go with them. A small tenon or carcase saw and a small dovetail would be an ideal pair. 

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=504

Try them out before you buy it you can as some handles are better than others. Everybody has different comfort factors when it comes to totes.

The ones on the website are 14tpi or 20tpi for the dovetail and 16tpi for the crosscut. I think the 20tpi would be fine for small box rip cut joinery and of course 16tpi is the only option for crosscut. - unless you went for a slightly bigger carcass saw at 14tpi.

I prefer the feel and look of the LN saws but you can't go wrong with either one.  You'd be better off playing with both of them before making a decision but that's not always possible, of course.

I agree with Henry though, that type of saw is more important than the brand.  I personally think you need at least two joinery saws, one dovetail and at least one type of crosscut.  While you can do both of cuts with both types of saw, it's not ideal.  The same as ripping with a crosscut blade on your table saw or vise versa.

I have been saving Lee Valley gift cards since Christmas.  I just gave them to my son so he can pick me up the trio of Veritas Molded-Spine saws.  The price for the three of them is about the same as for a single Bad Axe. Gramercy, or Wenzloff saw.  I hear great things about the Veritas ones and I am sure I will be happy with them too.

I do have power tools, but I find myself grabbing hand saws more often.  Just to get the practise in.

I have a LN tapered carcass saw and a good Japanese dozuki.  The Veritas saws are great, I'm just not a fan of the plastic handles but that's a personal thing.  I plan to add an LN dovetail saw in the near future, then eventually a tenon saw, maybe a panel saw or two.  Crap, I need a second job.