Kapex

Pwk5017

About to buy a used Kapex this evening. Any reason to back out? The used price tag isnt cheap, but it's considerably less than the new price tag--sheesh, i keep looking at that number in shock. Anyone have regret buying the kapex?

I used the domino 500 for the first time this weekend, and WOWWWWWW, i want that thing so badly. I consider the kapex and the domino to be the last power tools on my most wanted list. Given my druthers, i would go with the domino 700 first every single time, but hard to pass on discounted festool....

I like my Kapex, I've had no issues with it. It can have it's struggles when it comes to thick dense woods. I've cut 3.5" thick maple that was about 7" wide without issue. If you work with a lot of big exotics you might find some trouble with power. I work mainly with domestics and see no reason for a need for more power. The dust collection is superb, and the accuracy is excellent. 

7 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I like my Kapex, I've had no issues with it. It can have it's struggles when it comes to thick dense woods. I've cut 3.5" thick maple that was about 7" wide without issue. If you work with a lot of big exotics you might find some trouble with power. I work mainly with domestics and see no reason for a need for more power. The dust collection is superb, and the accuracy is excellent. 

Accuracy and dust collection are what I want and expect. If this thing doesnt deliver, im kicking it to the curb awfully fast and going for the domino. While im sure i will cut something thick and hard, i want it to be dead nuts accurate for trim carpentry and standard furniture making crosscutting. It is also going to be convenient to do this in my basement with the rest of my tools. Currently, my dewalt sits outside in the garage and is used for roughing stock to length. It is far too dusty to bring the dewalt inside. 

Just now, Pwk5017 said:

Accuracy and dust collection are what I want and expect. If this thing doesnt deliver, im kicking it to the curb awfully fast and going for the domino. While im sure i will cut something thick and hard, i want it to be dead nuts accurate for trim carpentry and standard furniture making crosscutting. It is also going to be convenient to do this in my basement with the rest of my tools. Currently, my dewalt sits outside in the garage and is used for roughing stock to length. It is far too dusty to bring the dewalt inside. 

It's great for trim, that's where it truly shines as it was designed for on site trim work, crown molding, etc. I use mine to cut most project pieces to length. 

About to buy a used Kapex this evening. Any reason to back out? The used price tag isnt cheap, but it's considerably less than the new price tag--sheesh, i keep looking at that number in shock. Anyone have regret buying the kapex?

I used the domino 500 for the first time this weekend, and WOWWWWWW, i want that thing so badly. I consider the kapex and the domino to be the last power tools on my most wanted list. Given my druthers, i would go with the domino 700 first every single time, but hard to pass on discounted festool....

What's your intended use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if I'd say I "regret" buying my Kapex, but I'm not 100% happy with mine. It's a very precise saw but it's underpowered. Period.

Also, if I were getting ready to go on a Festool binge, the Kapex would be WAY low on the list unless it was something crazy like half price. If you have a fully outfitted shop, go for it. Otherwise I would suggest thinking hard about your priorities.

A Kapex mostly cross cuts boards.  It cross cuts boards really well, and has features that make it easier to cross cuts boards, but unless that is most of what you do, other saws do it almost as well for a lot less.  On the other hand, a Domino is still pretty unique. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pug said:

Tom bullied me into getting a kapex a while back.  I love it - I use it on almost every project.

I distinctly remember not getting one and being on chat the last night of the sale and you coming in and saying that you bought one and that I needed to get one before the sale was over. 25 minutes later I was sitting around waiting 45 days. 

Just now, Tom Cancelleri said:

I distinctly remember not getting one and being on chat the last night of the sale and you coming in and saying that you bought one and that I needed to get one before the sale was over. 25 minutes later I was sitting around waiting 45 days. 

Ha-ha!

• Like 1

I love my Kapex. It is a great machine and when combined with these https://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool-accessories/miter-saws/general-accessories/ka-ug-r-l-both-sides-for-the-kapex-base-set-497514 it is amazingly quick to set a stop for repeatable cuts. I have always used a mitre saw in my shop and I use it way more than my tablesaw for crosscuts. I don't even have a crosscut sled. I have never had an issue with power. I have cut exotics ( 8/4 ebony) with ease. Not sure if this is a wiring issue in some peoples shops. I have mine on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Im not saying its the strongest saw out there, I'm just saying I've never had an issue with it with anything I've cut. Its super accurate, the lasers are great and dust collection is good. Dust collection is amazing as far as mitre saws go but its just good compared to everything else in my shop.

In terms of pricing, I think it is ridiculous. For the mft/kapex that my kapex sits on, the ug wings and the kapex itself it's 3318$ here plus 15% tax. That is crazy talk. I bought mine 2 price increases ago and there was a 10% discount on Kapex and all accesories at the time. I think Festool is getting a little out of hand with their pricing.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Too late, I bought it! Everyone kind of expressed all the feelings I had towards the saw. It's great, but how much do you really use a miter saw? Combine that with the fact that it's stupidly expensive and it makes complete sense that I just spent $900 on it. I got two crown support things, extra clamp, 6 blades, and two 6" mft clamps. All 6 blades are the $150 aluminum cutting ones, so I am looking to sell those pronto.  I'm hoping the blades turn that decent deal into a great one. I would feel a lot better about buying the saw if it cost me $250 less. Also ended up helping the guy with all his bessey k body Revos for $25 a pop.

I'm so on the hunt for a domino 700 right now. First, need to replenish the coffer. 

17 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Agreed..  I have both but, if I could only have one, it would be the 500..  It sees far more use than my 700.

Im going to start a thread on this soon, but why? Is the 700 that bulky to use? I used the 500 for the first time over the weekend and it was great; however, i look at the 4, 5, and 6 mm dominoes and laugh. What the hell do you do with something that damn tiny!?!? Im not making doll houses and jewelry boxes, so that is why i lean heavily towards the 700. I feel like the 6-8mm is the smallest i would go for the work i do, and would absolutely appreciate the much longer and larger dominoes. This decision is going to be a painful one, i see. For the record, I have the TS75 and i am very happy i went with it over the 55. 

Just now, Pwk5017 said:

Im going to start a thread on this soon, but why? Is the 700 that bulky to use? I used the 500 for the first time over the weekend and it was great; however, i look at the 4, 5, and 6 mm dominoes and laugh. What the hell do you do with something that damn tiny!?!? Im not making doll houses and jewelry boxes, so that is why i lean heavily towards the 700. I feel like the 6-8mm is the smallest i would go for the work i do, and would absolutely appreciate the much longer and larger dominoes. This decision is going to be a painful one, i see. For the record, I have the TS75 and i am very happy i went with it over the 55. 

The 500 will do up to 10mm, great for most applications. The 700 is fine if you want to do roof construction. I am looking for mechanical strength....the glue does the bond. 700 can end up opening the joint due to cross grain, long grain shrinkage.

4 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

I use the 5mm all the time.  Works great for picture framing, panel alignment, as well as smaller tables (double up).

5 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

1 minute ago, davestanton said:

The 500 will do up to 10mm, great for most applications. The 700 is fine if you want to do roof construction. I am looking for mechanical strength....the glue does the bond. 700 can end up opening the joint due to cross grain, long grain shrinkage.

Dave is correct..  The 700 is great when you really need to shoot some large floating tenons but, the 500 really shines on the bulk of the shop work.  The 700 will shoot the smaller ones but, it is quite a bit bigger and sometimes hard to use if you have some tight spaces.

• Like 1

I use 6mm dominoes all the time. Face frames, case construction in ply, Roubo top glue up and alignment. A large amount of people work with 3/4 stock, 6mm is approximately 1/4 which is perfect for that application. The 700 is great if you're building barn doors, and entryway doors, but for most furniture building I see it as overkill.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

The 700 is great if you're building barn doors, and entryway doors,

I bought the 700 for just that, and it works great, I added the Seneca plates and bit adapter so I can use the smaller dominos.  But if I were to do it all over I would buy the 500.  The size of the 700 makes it difficult to use on smaller pieces.