Red Oak & Walnut Coffee Table for my Brother

jkn09

My brother just graduated college and got his own apartment, so he asked me to build him a coffee table. He pretty much gave me free reign on the design so I decided to try some new things for me (drawer pulls, top attachment buttons, drawer slides, splined breadboard ends). I used to use the Kreg Jig quite a bit but I've started moving into more...ahem..."traditional" forms of joinery. The base was mitered M&T joints. 

I finished it with Light Walnut tinted Danish Oil.

IMG_6244.JPGimage1 (1).JPGimage3.JPGimage2.JPGimage1.JPG

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Welcome to the forum jkn09! Nice work on the table. How tall is it?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Right at 18". I had free reign over design, but my bro had specific dimensions that he wanted.

4 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Welcome, JKN09! Nice job on the coffee table. I like the species combination. Did you use any sort of grain filler in the oak?

No grain filler. The Danish oil was slightly tinted, so the grain sticks out more than normal. I did 3-4 coats. It still feels very natural, which I liked. 

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I've lurked here for a long time, but finally got around to posting something.