Anyone know about termites?

Cliff

We get our entire property sprayed every year, as part of a maintenance contract with the pest company. From what I've been reading termites may magically appear because someone nearby sprayed their house and it drove them out. My wife is convinced that any spec of sawdust on the ground outside will instantly attract them. I don't know about that but I don't exactly have the knowledge to tell her if she is wrong or not. 

This is a picture of the one we found on the garbage can. After looking at pictures I'm not necessarily positive that this is a termite. It's backend looks weird, but again, I'm no expert.

imageserve.jpg

I doubt you will ever see a termite crawling around on the ground. They live under ground (and are very white in color) and usually eat damp or wet wood.

HOWEVER they love the glue on the paper of sheet rock. If you notice the sheet rock surface getting loose or bulgy, it is almost too late get busy fast! Check under windows where the wood may be damp from rain and humidity and they may move into the sheet rock glue area next.

BTDT

• Like 1

I had a number of "oh s$#%" what kind of bug is that in my garage, the first were powder post beetles.  Then I had some wood in there with huge holes and tons of dust, turned out to be some kind of grub, were logs cut up for turning.  I did bring one log home to cut up for turning, did it out side and made a cut and saw termites, luckily the garbage was running the next day and I threw it all out. 

Went to Africa. Slept in an expedition hammock. Great experience by the way. When trees were not available, poles (logs) were drilled into the ground. I pulled one the next morning and overnight it was thoroughly covered in termites where it was below grade. I have never seen anything happen so fast. 

31 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Went to Africa. Slept in an expedition hammock. Great experience by the way. When trees were not available, poles (logs) were drilled into the ground. I pulled one the next morning and overnight it was thoroughly covered in termites where it was below grade. I have never seen anything happen so fast. 

Well that is terrifying. Africa is #2 on my list of places to avoid. Australia is #1.

2 hours ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

I had a number of "oh s$#%" what kind of bug is that in my garage, the first were powder post beetles.  Then I had some wood in there with huge holes and tons of dust, turned out to be some kind of grub, were logs cut up for turning.  I did bring one log home to cut up for turning, did it out side and made a cut and saw termites, luckily the garbage was running the next day and I threw it all out. 

I was a bit concerned because the walnut I'm using for my counters was air dried and had evidence of powder post beetles or termites. I am not sure which. I left them out and watched for piles of dust or change and never saw any - and most of the bad stuff was cut out and what wasn't got filled with epoxy. But I still worry. 

1 hour ago, C Shaffer said:

Spent a year in Kenya, the termites were amazing, however, the fire ants were the ones I learned to avoid!