Something new from Powermatic?

Mick S

17 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Hopefully it's a gps devise that finds the tool I had in my hands 5 minutes before needing it only to lose instantly when I need it. 

You joke about this but the technology exists. My GF works at a company that does interior tracking for equipment and patients at hospitals. It interfaces with a computer and could literally tell you where every thing that you tagged is inside your house shop yard ....ect.

My old boss had to buy a tracker thing that syncs with his smart phone. Attached it to his CAC card (need that to access military computers and get on secure facilities) so if he walks more than 10 feet away from it his phone goes off. He kept leaving it in his machine at night and couldn't get on the base in the morning. 

Seems like that would be a good investment.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Llama said:

Another CNC? How many are out there? I guess if you want everything to be the same color.

There are indeed quite a few out there, but with the exception of a Domino I can't think of many things that that question wouldn't apply to. Hopefully PM is advancing the technology in some way - ease of use, setup, rigidity, turnkey package, bang for the buck, etc. with the resources they have behind them. 

3 minutes ago, micks said:

There are indeed quite a few out there, but with the exception of a Domino I can't think of many things that that question wouldn't apply to.

I expected this response. My point was this is a niche market item, not everyone needs to make them. It's certainly not like a table saw. 

4 minutes ago, Llama said:

I expected this response. My point was this is a niche market item, not everyone needs to make them. It's certainly not like a table saw. 

But for those of us interested in the niche market, hopefully it's a worthy product. They are not all the same. 

4 hours ago, Llama said:

Though it is like a table saw in the sense that it's a potential entry tool.  Somebody who has no or minimal woodworking tools can buy a cnc to make signs or whatever.  So if you can leverage your reputation and marketing to get them to pick yours now you have a very expensive foot in their door.  Some matching gold tools after they figure out that the cnc doesn't do everything they need can follow.

9 hours ago, krtwood said:

Though it is like a table saw in the sense that it's a potential entry tool.

I'd still like to see what they are doing that is different. There are very nice CNC machines at every level of price. I am going to guess this one will be in the 5-8K range for a medium sized machine. For that money, I expect some serious upgrades over the Rockler unit.