From log to poly in one day!

Denette

44 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

i haven't met a single person that doesn't like a little box.

Because we all have something to hide. :D

That is a real cool looking box.  Who'd a thought that "mystery bush" had such pretty grain.

• Like 2

On July 13, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Chet K. said:

Who'd a thought that "mystery bush" had such pretty grain.

I know, right?  The pretty red stripe figuring is actually some sort of disease that shot right up the middle of the trunk, and I'm pretty sure that the same thing that makes for beautiful wood is also what killed the plant.  Something poetic about that - redeeming that which led to death and turning it into a new kind of beauty.

On July 13, 2016 at 2:08 PM, wdwerker said:

Very cool project !

I would sign it, date it and label it mystery wood from a dead bush in the yard !

Thanks!  That's basically what I did, haha!  I'm trying to sell it.  I am to the point now where I have more little bandsaw boxes than I have secret things to keep in them. :P 

On July 13, 2016 at 2:25 PM, C Shaffer said:

Nice box. Looks like apple. 

Not sure what it was, but I'm pretty sure it's not apple.  The plant was dead for at least two years, so I have no leaves to use to ID it, but whatever it was it was held up to the fence with a bunch of metal wires, like it wouldn't have stood up on its own without being supported.  Above the level of the fence, it shot up about a foot and then curved back down like it would naturally have been a vine or something.  It had long thin thorns on some of the branches.  I'm not sure what it was.  Now, however, I'm sure it's a box. :D 

On July 13, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Dknapp34 said:

Very nice!  I have some bushes in my yard with orange-ish roots/branches that I've considered hacking up to make something.  I thought maybe pens, but I like the bandsaw box idea better.  

Just make sure they're good and dead and dry before working with them, otherwise they'll shrink unpredictably from water loss and then all your work will be for nothing! 

Could have been a really big poison ivy. A museum near me has a display of various lumber samples commercially harvested from the local river bottom. Poison Ivy is one of them.

Wow! I don't expect that is it, given the thorns on my mystery bush, but that's fascinating! What does it look like? Does it retain its poisonous qualities? I could see a dark, dark market for poison ivy-wood pens for enemies...

9 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Nope, no thorns on ivy. Standing guess would now be Hawthorne. Osage Orange also could have thorns but usually shows more yellow and orange. Black Loqust can have thorns, but usually have them in clusters. 

I think we may have a winner!  It looked an awful awful lot like a hawthorn tree.  I'd never seen one before, but I just googled it and I think you're right.  Mystery wood no longer!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Wow! I don't expect that is it, given the thorns on my mystery bush, but that's fascinating! What does it look like? Does it retain its poisonous qualities? I could see a dark, dark market for poison ivy-wood pens for enemies...

Wish I had a photo. I seem to recall it looking like maple with dark streaks. This place claims to have some: http://www.keimlumber.com/exoticwoods