Seattle. Where there's the rainy season, and there's August.

ClassAct

Hi, folks. Mike here. I live in Ballard, northwest of Seattle and the furthest point from any freeway in Western Washington. Lifelong Seattle resident*, University of Washington '85, and University of Puget Sound '88. My wife and I renovated a 1908 Craftsman home, taking eleven years to do it because we didn't have the faintest idea of what we were doing. It's turned out okay, which for Seattle means there are no major leaks and the moss grows in only a few places on the roof.

I've messed about with carpentry-type stuff throughout my life, though nothing approaching any real level of skill or talent. Our home has no basement or garage, no closet storage space; the closest thing to a shop is my father-in-law's place, which is forty-five minutes to an hour+ away depending on traffic. But that's a lot better than having nothing at all.

I'm an avid sailboater, reader, and traveler; have owned saiboats twice and lived aboard once; maintained a fleet of charter sailboats; installed security and surveillance systems; help with amateur radio communications for the City of Seattle (one 8.5 Cascadia subduction zone earthquake coming up!); was in software development for 20 years; wrote a bunch of books about software; and now do freelance editing while staying home and maintaining the place. My beautiful bride works in downtown Seattle and puts up with my vagaries and fixations. She should get some kind of medal, I tell ya.

Been reading voraciously about woodworking and will be taking a basic Handsaw class in October from Jim Tolpin's Port Townsend School of Woodworking. Eventually I'll get to where I can build that totally cool game table that Marc put together. Don't know how I'll get it home after building it at my father-in-law's, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. :D

A special howdy to other Northwesterners here on the boards. You guys have paved the way for newbs like me and I hope to honor your trailblazing by keeping ears open and mouth shut.

In order:

TIODS: Bellingham is beautiful. Have some friends who live in Hidden Valley. I used to commute to Bellingham from Seattle for work for about two years. Once I got to Marysville it was a relaxing, brain-free drive north. We were just up there for a day trip a month or so ago, just to hang around Fairhaven. I think Bellingham is an undiscovered gem.

Eric: Lots to like up here, especially if you are of Scandinavian descent. I love the rain, personally, and love gray skies day after day rather than blazing sun. Keeps my skin soft and moist, dontchaknow. :P

Just Bob: I'll be taking the Handsaw Essentials weekend course, and hopefully over the next year taking the other three, skipping the Design course at number five. Port Townsend is where I'd love to retire to (about fifteen years from now) so this will give my wife and I some familiarity with the area. I've been to Point Hudson marina many times by boat, been to the town only a few times otherwise.

Joseph Thomas: All of my books are out of print, thanks to software's short shelf life. If you really want to read "The Unofficial Guide to Windows XP" or "Mastering Office 2003" you can probably find a copy at a used bookstore somewhere. Since my hardcore writing days I'm now primarily an editor or technical editor; currently I'm tech-editing a book on Azure security for Microsoft Press. It pays poorly, but makes up for it by being difficult to read. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ClassAct said:

Eric: Lots to like up here, especially if you are of Scandinavian descent. I love the rain, personally, and love gray skies day after day rather than blazing sun. Keeps my skin soft and moist, dontchaknow. :P

Yep, I absolutely do know.  I find the sun oppressive.  I enjoy it for about a month at the beginning of summer, then I'm done and ready to go back to October in perpetuity.  Octobers in Missouri are great.  The only decent month we have.

I feel like I'd get sick of rainy days eventually, but it always puts me in a good mood for some reason when I wake up to gray skies.

• Like 1

Klappco: Ya sure ya betcha! You ought to come over for the Syttende Mai celebration next year. We have a lutefisk-eating competition. It's not for sissies. :)

East of the mountains isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Unless you're a WSU Cougar, in which case pthtbbtppt.

Seattle-vs-Eastern-WA-W630.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome from the better side of the state!

I envy you going to the boat school for a class. I have listed after their classes for years.

Ballard is such an interesting place . . .

https://youtu.be/hGlDVmBLibg

Not the Cougs here. I'm a Fighting Missionary!

My wife went to the farm school but I excuse that. Two of our kids went to Whitman, two went to UW, and one to Eastern.

• 1 month later...