Turning tool sharpening thought?

bushwacked

The easiest way is to buy carbide tools with replacable cutters.

Otherwise, straight edged chisels will sharpen on a regular stone or whatever. Gouges require different jigs the type of 'grind' used. I hear good things about CBN grinding wheels and the Wolverine jig system. No personal experience, though.

Slow speed grinder plus the wolverine jigs would be my suggestion if you're sticking with the traditional tools.  I ended up upgrading to CBN wheels, they make much less of a mess and don't have to be dressed...  Plus there's no risk of them breaking apart.

The raptor set up tools are a nice accessory, too.

As for the grinder, go for an 8" wheel - I bought the delta variable speed at Lowe's.  

• Like 1

that WEN 4286 looks good for sharpening.  Not sure how you'd use the others on your turning tools, but from my experience, you can sharpen all your basic tools on that grinder.  I'd add the wolverine set-up.... 

I have these parts: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/93/1232/Oneway-Sharpening-Essentials-6-Piece-Set?term=one+way+sharpening

the alternative to the vari-grind jig would be the ellsworth jig, I've used both and have the vari-grind at home.

plus maybe these for set-up:  https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/95/5188/Raptor-Set-Up-Tools

start with 40, 45, 50 degrees.

I'd avoid using sand paper for sharpening. For lowest cost setup, look at getting a slow speed grinder. I have the 8" rikon that I got for $99 from woodcraft. and you can get the wolverine jig for sharpening gouges for around 100ish. 

The Tormek is a great system as well, but it's really expensive if you're not turning all day every day. 

• Like 1