Bench on Bench

gee-dub

2 hours ago, Rex Edgar said:

I'm 64 and I just grab a nap!

A good friend and I were discussing acronyms a year or so ago, and we concluded, that the English language is going bye, bye!  It won't be many years away when acrospeak will prevail!  So we did at least one acronym that's just for we older folks, but I'm gonna put it out there, and the younger crowd will get a kick out of it.    Speaking to your "grab a nap"  we devised this code  OMN    [old man's nap]  I shoot for one daily!

• Like 2

First,  Great idea. My shoulders and neck get stiff and sore too easily.

Second, what kind of vise is that?

Third and last, possible Idea.........I could picture myself using something like that that would have dowels on the legs to fit into dogs holes on my main bench to avoid the need for clamps.

8 hours ago, Ronn W said:

First,  Great idea. My shoulders and neck get stiff and sore too easily.

Second, what kind of vise is that?

Third and last, possible Idea.........I could picture myself using something like that that would have dowels on the legs to fit into dogs holes on my main bench to avoid the need for clamps.

First, thanks (and thanks to all for the comments).

Second, Veritas 'Inset Vise'.

Third, I use it in several different positions depending on the task but, the idea of dog 'pegs' on the feet is intriguing ;-)

I love this thing and I need to make myself one.  I'm 35 and had back surgery last year.   I built myself a moxon vice, which I absolutely love.  It raises the work up to a non-painful level.  I've been looking for a more complete solution and your bench looks pretty good.

I think I would incorporate a moxon vice in mine If I do build one. 

• 1 year later...

Mini-Moxon Add-On

Trying to elevate my hand cut dovetail status from "hack" to "reasonably proficient" I found myself in need of a moxon-like device.  Space is at a premium here so I came up with an add-on for my Bench-on-Bench.  I grabbed a scrap of red oak and a previously used piece of t-track.  I cut a rabbet to accept the t-track, drilled the track with through holes and coutersinks and mounted it to the scrap.

5a807a8fdb6e5_mini-moxon-add-on(1).jpg.66f28606dce5989624c98e224f1649aa.jpg

I marked the area where the scrap would be glued to the BonB and sanded the finish off.

5a807a9120bd5_mini-moxon-add-on(2).jpg.059f90f0ee3ccaf0acc5e217d9141be3.jpg

Some glue and #10 screws.

5a807a9245131_mini-moxon-add-on(3).jpg.a3581ec8f0f8a8eb645ffe80887f1748.jpg

And it works like so . . . 

5a807a938f3bc_mini-moxon-add-on(4).jpg.8054c766d064bd4b760a13a572e09883.jpg

These holddowns were picked up at a Woodworking show some years back.  Other t-track type holddowns you may have will work as well.

5a807a949014a_mini-moxon-add-on(5).jpg.2b6372fb20b80e6721d9b58f58c44eac.jpg

• Like 2