Barn door shutters

Little by little my wife and I have been trying to turn our new house into our home. We are starting to get to thinking about some more customized window treatments. As of now, my wife is really leaning towards barn door shutters inside the bedroom portion of the master suite and for the windows in the other bedroom facing the front of the house. My wife likes the rustic look, but me not as much. I'm looking for some suggestions and any advice anyone can offer. I was thinking that something along the lines of ash with something like a drying oil finish might appeal to my tastes of showing the wood while giving more of a rustic appearance than I would otherwise look for. My wife still isn't sold on the idea and is still wanting more of a paint finish. Do you have suggestions from barn door shutters that you've done? I'd hate to go through the hassle of building the shutters with a nicer wood if my wife just wants paint and I can just get away with painted pine. I'm not sold on the staying power of the rustic/painted finishes, but also have to keep the wife happy - any suggestions for a happy medium?

8 hours ago, Lt CHEG said:

My wife still isn't sold on the idea and is still wanting more of a paint finish

pic's would help Lt. last time my wife wanted something painted i waited 6 months for her to change her mind (they do that on occasion) then i built it out of hardwood

• Like 1

Remind her that barn door sliding shutters may limit hanging pictures on the walls. Of course also think about how often will they really be closed ?

If it does come down to a painted rustic finish poplar is a good choice for paint. If you get rough sawn or hit and miss planed stock one step towards rustic is covered.

• Like 1

Here are some pics of some general ideas that she saw online...

image.jpg1_zpsffkfsgm4.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsvgx9quxq.jpg

image.jpg4_zpssledxrgm.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsravcitfc.jpg

I'm happy to build what she wants, I just don't want her to change her mind next year, especially if the rustic fad fades. I do like some of the ideas so far so please continue to make suggestions. Thanks

My wife calls them "dust collectors".  My preference for Greene and Greene style furniture with all those elevations and nooks and crannies means "I" get to dust them. ;-)  I am willing to put out the extra effort for the look but, you may want to mention it to the wife.  An alternative would be something that gives the appearance but, has a surface that is all on basically the same plane.

Happy wife = happy life and if there is one place you want her happy, its the master bedroom. 

Show her some samples of pickles/limed/cerused oak.  It works just as well with Ash.  If you apply the glaze sparingly you will get a nice compromise between paint and natural.  Honestly, I like the look of pickled ash more than natural ash, which is a little boring looking IMO. 

image.png

2 hours ago, Lt CHEG said:

Here are some pics of some general ideas that she saw online...

image.jpg1_zpsffkfsgm4.jpg

This might not be too bad actually.  She gets the rustic looks based on the style, and you could use clear walnut to keep it classy and looking like real wood instead of 100 year old bug food.  It's a decent look.  It's not for me or my house for sure, but it's not bad.