The wife and contradiction.

My wife likes that I build things, but could care less about the difference between a plywood box and nice furniture.  I appreciate that she is practical but it does frustrate her that I "turn everything into a project"

I think your situation is unique in that your shop is at your vacation property.  She might not see the point of driving for 8 hours only to see you disappear for 3 days :)

OH NO, The grass will grow up around her neck before she mows it. She takes care of inside. I take care of outside. In 20 years she has never asked me to clean, or do laundry. Im not opening that Pandora's box.

Telling her to stay home isn't really an option. There are certainly benefits of having her come with me. :rolleyes:

I would love her to find a hobby. But in 20 years, I have never known her to have one, unless you count laying out in the pool. I would put in the pool sooner, but it doesn't make sense to put in the pool until we are there permanently. Maintenance is expensive.

I can deal with it, just don't understand it.

5 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Just say " Yes, dear". Spend time with her, and appreciate that you have that time to spend. Maybe one day she'll be interested enough to work with you.

This is what I am hoping. 

2 hours ago, BeautysBeast said:

Am I crazy thinking this is a HUGE contradiction? I love her to death, but I will be damned if I can understand her, and we have been married for 20 years.

So after 40 years I can understand my wife twice as much.  2 x 0 = 0!!  But she does do yard work.

1 hour ago, Llama said:

I think you have answered your own question. 

Truth!

Just now, Ronn W said:

You

So after 40 years I can understand my wife twice as much.  2 x 0 = 0!!  But she does do yard work.

I'd rather do the yard work than laundry and housekeeping. 

My wife (of 16 years now) was the same in many respects until she settled (somewhat accidentally) into a hobby. She now breeds guinea pigs and travels with her other guinea pig breeding friends around the NW to attend guinea pig shows. This has allowed me to spend more time on my own hobbies (highland games and woodworking) as well.

I do have to watch myself, though... I have a strong tendency to get really wrapped up in shop time and forget to make sure she's taken care of when she's not doing other things. When she's around and I need shop time, I have to set timers for myself or else I'll go for hours (made us late for a dinner reservation once... that went over well).

• Like 1

I woodwork in her living room and store my tools in her laundry room. So go figure.

Last weekend I was depressed and just spent the whole weekend watching TV. On Sunday I went to bed earlier than usual, so she asked me why was I going to bed, I couldn't possibly be tired after doing nothing the whole weekend. Yeah, women.

4 hours ago, shaneymack said:

You can't understand your wife? What an unusual situation! Never heard of such a thing. emoji12.png

Sounds like she needs her own hobby !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

^^ This right here. I had the same situation with my wife. After our son moved out, I dropped the suggestion that she turn his room into her own hobby room/woman cave. She has taken over that bedroom and made it her own. She now paints, makes flower arrangements and whatever else she wants to do in there. It hasn't completely solved the problem, but I think that she now relates much better to my fanatical obsession with my hobby.

My wife has been riding/competing/showing horses since she is 4. She makes my obsession with woodworking seem normal. She used to be at the barn probably 40 hours a week on avg pre kids. Now with 4 kids thats down to 10 hours ish. I could have bought two new Sawstops with the money we just put towards her new custom, made in France saddle. She has NOTHING to say about me spending money on tools or wood EVER. Never complains about the time I get out there either. All to say, wife with a hobby makes all the difference.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And I would add, "wife with a hobby" that you, as a husband, support. I try to support my wife's hobbies and interests and she, in turn, supports mine. The last thing I wanted was for us to have our own things be totally separate. We may not be fully into each others' hobbies but we work to be a part of them, even if it's a small part. Helps the relationship, too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MisterDrow said:

And I would add, "wife with a hobby" that you, as a husband, support. I try to support my wife's hobbies and interests and she, in turn, supports mine. The last thing I wanted was for us to have our own things be totally separate. We may not be fully into each others' hobbies but we work to be a part of them, even if it's a small part. Helps the relationship, too.

The cool thing is that we have been working together on stuff for her room. We're making a new counter top for her right now, as a matter of fact. :D

• Like 1