Epoxy Resin for Knots and Imperfections

MisterDrow

So the desk I'm working on right now (the one with the walnut top) has a couple small knots in the wood that the end user would like filled with epoxy. I've never used epoxy outside of being an adhesive and I'm curious if there is anything I should know about before doing this. I'm mainly concerned with how to properly sand/scrape it flush with the wood after applying it but I'm happy to get any tips from folks here in regards to how to get the best results from start to finish.

I've just ordered some of this (30-min epoxy resin) from Amazon and will be getting some dye for it locally.

Edited by MisterDrow
clarification

I've never used that epoxy, I use West Systems.  A drop of black transtint dye isn't a bad idea just to keep the color the same rather than clear.  Sand and finish per normal.

If the knot goes all the way thru, be sure to tape off the under side.  Also, watch of bubbles as it cures.  A heat gun or torch quick pass will pop the bubbles so they don't end up trapped.

25 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I've never used that epoxy, I use West Systems.  A drop of black transtint dye isn't a bad idea just to keep the color the same rather than clear.  Sand and finish per normal.

If the knot goes all the way thru, be sure to tape off the under side.  Also, watch of bubbles as it cures.  A heat gun or torch quick pass will pop the bubbles so they don't end up trapped.

I've heard a lot of good about West Systems... where is the best place to buy it?

The knots on this particular piece don't go all the way through but the end-user liked the grain on that side of the board so we decided to epoxy fill it. I have heard that sometimes it doesn't sand very well and can clog sandpaper... have you experienced this?

18 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Some of the guys here have mixed sawdust in with the epoxy for color. Do some test filling and sanding before you tackle the actual walnut top.

That's not a bad idea, actually... after milling/planing those boards I've got plenty, too! LOL

I plan on taking some of the off-cuts that have bigger knots and practicing on them first, but that's a good tip. I've had too many occasions in the past where I just went for it and should have tested/practiced first.

1 minute ago, MisterDrow said:

I've heard a lot of good about West Systems... where is the best place to buy it?

The knots on this particular piece don't go all the way through but the end-user liked the grain on that side of the board so we decided to epoxy fill it. I have heard that sometimes it doesn't sand very well and can clog sandpaper... have you experienced this?

I have a hard time finding it locally so, usually just order it from Rockler.

I've never had issue with it clogging sandpaper but, I also give it at least 12 hours to cure. 

• Like 1

In terms of sanding/finishing, here are a few tips.

1) After it sets up before before it fully cures you can easily cut/scrape away excess with a razor blade.  Cure times vary by epoxy, but it want it cured enough that your finger won't really stick but not sure cured that it is hard.  Cutting off the excess is way easier than sanding/scraping.

2) After you have cut off the excess and it is fully cured, go at it with a card scraper or plane.  

3) After it is level you can sand it smooth.  Lower grits will leave a cloudy finish, once you are up to 180 it should start to become clear again.

It is difficult and time consuming to sand away excess epoxy.  You want to cut it and plane it away and then just sand to finish it.  

Fantastic advice, @Mike.! Thanks for that. That helps a lot.

I've got a Woodcraft store here locally. They don't carry West Systems but they do carry System Three. From what I can tell, they are direct competitors and both perform well. Perhaps if the stuff I ordered doesn't work well in tests I'll head down to Woodcraft. Of course I'll have to put my blinders on so I am not tempted to buy power tools/clamps/hand tools/etc while I'm there... The place is a damn toy store.

34 minutes ago, Larry Moore said:

You can buy West System epoxy at West Marine stores.

I'm in SW Idaho... none of them around here. Searching West System website tells me that the nearest place I can walk into and purchase their product is in Spokane, WA, Northern Idaho, or Montana. No worries, though. I think the System Three stuff should be more than adequate.

I think you will be fine with the System 3.  I have used everything from the box store stuff to West Systems.  For filling knots, they all work fine.  West Systems is more about convenience and the ability to tailor its working properties by using different additives.  But for basic knot filling, epoxy is epoxy.