Spraying Am-R-Seal

Robby W

I am in the finishing steps of a large bookcase. Since everyone here raves about ARS, I thought I would give it a try. Because this project is so big and has 21 shelves, I would prefer to spray it. I thought about one of my go-to finishes - shellac - of which I have sprayed a bunch, but I am worried about what books would do after prolonged contact with the surface. What is your experience with spraying ARS? Or should I look at another finish, such as Minwax Fast Drying Poly? I have sprayed that without problems. I'm going for a satin sheen and the project is made from cherry and cherry ply.

Thanks for your help.

TIOS wrote:  I like the General Finishes High Performance for spraying.  I've had great luck with that!

Interesting. I must have gotten a bad batch when I tried it. I sprayed a standup desk I built for my boss as a Christmas present and it took forever to harden fully. I also found it sensitive to cleaners during that time. Do you have this problem when you use it?

SawDustB wrote: I  just did a project with enduro var and it sprayed really well.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try some.

I have sprayed endurovar as well and it is amazing. I have a picture of a test board with Ars, endurovar, high performance and danish oil all side by side in my tool chest build in the journal section if you are interested to see the difference between them. I actually need to update that thread to show the final photos. The chest is sprayed with endurovar. Awesome stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Here is the link. Last page has some pics of the finish

• Like 1

Hmm good question. I didn't put any books on it but im guessing a week to full cure. In terms of spraying it was minutes after each coat to fully dry. I would give General finishes a call. They are very helpful and could give you that answer for sure.

• Like 1

Another vote for Enduro-Var here. Sprays beautifully and the satin sheen is just perfect in my opinion. I've shot several projects with it including this cherry bookcase/desk combo. It dries quickly so you can shoot multiple coats in a day. I think I let mine sit for a solid week, maybe two, before installation just to be sure that it was completely cured. The surface has turned out to be very durable. I think I have buffed the top one time with a brown paper bag since it was installed to remove some minor scuffs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

+1 for Enduro Var or High Performance both waterborne products. You might be able to spray ARS but it is formulated to be a wiping finish. Give it a try.

Yeah, Terry, I was thinking the same thing. It may be a bit too thin to spray effectively. Then again, the OP said he sprays shellac, which is a tricky thing to spray in my opinion.

• Like 1

Another vote for Enduro-Var here. Sprays beautifully and the satin sheen is just perfect in my opinion. I've shot several projects with it including this cherry bookcase/desk combo. It dries quickly so you can shoot multiple coats in a day. I think I let mine sit for a solid week, maybe two, before installation just to be sure that it was completely cured. The surface has turned out to be very durable. I think I have buffed the top one time with a brown paper bag since it was installed to remove some minor scuffs.

Your link doesn't seem to work. It brings me to a thread entitled, " The end of scorpion season is near." I don't see your desk there...

My spray setup is a conversion HVLP gun with a 1.7mm tip, powered by my 5HP compressor, so air power isn't an issue. I routinely spray shellac and recently sprayed Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane without issues. I have sprayed other finishes in the past. My main worry is getting the finish cured in a reasonable period of time.

I tried to contact them, but they don't seem to have any contact info on their website. My Google Fu found a phone number, but they are closed. Have to try again tomorrow. This is getting interesting......

5 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Your link doesn't seem to work. It brings me to a thread entitled, " The end of scorpion season is near." I don't see your desk there...

Well that's bizarre. You must be doing it wrong. :D 

gallery_2195_715_6889.jpg

• Like 1

Gary - That looks really nice. Looks like there is an Enduro Var experiment in my future.

Gary - A further question: Did you use any kind of a dye or stain on the finish or is it natural? A little bit darker version of that is what the wife ordered. Think dark honey colored.

4 hours ago, Robby W said:

Gary - That looks really nice. Looks like there is an Enduro Var experiment in my future.

Gary - A further question: Did you use any kind of a dye or stain on the finish or is it natural? A little bit darker version of that is what the wife ordered. Think dark honey colored.

I used Transtint dye in alcohol for the whole thing. I'm pretty sure I used the brown mahogany color. I did use 2 coats of the Charles Neil blotch control, and that helped a lot. 

If it were up to me, it would have gotten ZERO color, but of course I was at the mercy of the decorating committee and it needed to match existing furniture. Apparently, waiting for it to change color was an impossibility. :rolleyes:

I must admit, I am surprised that it has barely darkened at all, and it gets a lot of southern sunlight. Not sure if the finish blocks any UV or not.

• Like 1

Robby

i just finished a cherry ply and cherry solid top bookcase and sprayed ARS (3 coats) and used a Fuji mini mite 3 stage turbine. I did not notice a problem the finish being too thick but am not a professional. I am satisfied with the way it turned out. I waited 10 days before I delivered it so it would harden up. 

Bruce

On 7/18/2016 at 2:15 PM, shaneymack said:

Hmm good question. I didn't put any books on it but im guessing a week to full cure. In terms of spraying it was minutes after each coat to fully dry. I would give General finishes a call. They are very helpful and could give you that answer for sure.

How would you rate it as far as new sprayer friendliness? 

Very, very easy to use. Would be really, REALLY hard not be left with a flawless finish. Pretty sure if i gave the gun to my 10 year old and gave him a 2 min tutorial he could do a good job. It levels out as well as a lacquer and you can put three coats on a project in an afternoon.

Well I'm sold. 

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Very, very easy to use. Would be really, REALLY hard not be left with a flawless finish. Pretty sure if i gave the gun to my 10 year old and gave him a 2 min tutorial he could do a good job. It levels out as well as a lacquer and you can put three coats on a project in an afternoon.

For clarity,  are you talking about Enduro var or high performance? 

How would you rate it as far as new sprayer friendliness? 

I had never sprayed any clear coat before and got a pretty much perfect finish with the Enduro var. It also dried quickly enough to do four coats in about 3 hours, mostly limited by my speed, not drying time.

Edit: I should clarify: I've sprayed rattle can stuff before, but I had only used my HV LP gun for paint before. Still, I'd definitely rate myself as a novice fire spraying.

• Like 1