Selling things online

MisterDrow

I started to sell stuff on etsy a little while after starting to woodwork, sold simple stuff since my skills weren't amazing and didn't want to get over my head.  Haven't made a ton of money on there but have made enough to justify the time to post stuff every now and then.  Of course I get busy with other things and forget to post items that are just sitting on my shelves which isn't that smart.  Sold something this past weekend, forgot I had stuff even posted in my store haha.  I stick with easy small stuff that can be shipped in flat rate boxes and things that I can make and have on hand so I can ship it out quick.  I sold pallet wine racks(don't laught), but those sold pretty frequently, but shipping them was hell, used cardboard and formed the "boxes" around them.  They looked awful shipping wise, but never had a complaint(knock on wood), I stopped making them because shipping was a pain and I hate pallets haha.

• Like 1

My stuff will be pretty niche targeted... being a gaming nerd myself I know that when you spend a lot of money on cards for a high-end deck of Magic: The Gathering cards for tournament play, you want something fancy to put them in: both for protection and the look. I've got a pretty reasonable source of Spanish Cedar here in town so I can make them with that and they will be somewhat climate-controlled like a humidor. To an outsider, that sounds like a lot for a simple deck of cards but some of these guys have decks worth hundreds or thousands of dollars and don't mind dropping $30-50 or even $100+ on a nice box to put them in.

From there I'll expand and make other gaming-related items. I've even got a friend who owns a local game store who said he'd put some of them in his shop to sell if I want.

My hope is simply to build my skills, be able to buy more/better tools, and supplement the household income a bit. Even if I only get $50-100 extra each month, that's better than a kick in the pants!

• Like 1

FYI, Spanish cedar isn't traditionally used for humidors because it "controls climate," it's used because it tolerates humidity well, both in terms of movement and rot resistance, and because it doesn't impart a nasty odor to the cigars like some other species will.

All that to say, you don't gain anything by using Spanish cedar for that specific project, but you will pay more for your material, which isn't a great thing if you're trying to make a buck.  If the SC that you have available to you isn't fairly expensive, I'd be skeptical that it's actually SC.  It's about $12/bf at my yard.  That might be a little higher than average but I don't think by much.

It's $6.84/bf here... at least the last time I bought it for my wife's bathtub caddy. I've got scrap laying around from that project that will suffice for a couple boxes to start with. Lots of the research I found on Spanish Cedar said that it helped to maintain humidity inside of boxes made from it and that was the primary reason for making humidors out of it. I guess you are right, though... that's different from 'climate control'. Terminology fail.

I'll make these things out of lots of different types of wood, though, and price them accordingly. Probably only a few at a time so I don't end up with an abudance of them just laying around. I've got a spreadsheet built to calculate my costs (materials, overhead, selling costs/fees, etc) so that I can price them properly and know what to expect in profits on each item sold ahead of time. I will also need to make certain that I am pricing them to be competitive. 

Who knows... this whole venture may fail... and that's okay. If nothing else, I'll gain some skills I didn't have previously and will be able to translate those to other projects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

It's about $12/bf at my yard.  That might be a little higher than average but I don't think by much.

This is a little dated (9/15), but a few months ago Spanish Cedar was $8.5/bd ft from the retail yard here.  I doubt it has moved that much since then, but maybe.  

Owl%20Import_zpsqxvidde2.png

Yeah, the stuff I've got access to is about 8" wide on average and 15/16 S2S as well. That's the tough part about wood... depending on where you live, the pricing can vary widely. I have a supplier that I can use through the place I work at with phenomenal prices compared to everyone else around here (I get the company discount!) but they don't stock Spanish Cedar. I'll be using them for other types of wood, though.

Thanks man, I will check it out next time I need some non-Walnut domestics.  I think their walnut is all steamed (as is Owl's) and I know this ruffles some feathers, but unsteamed KD walnut is the bomb and I have good sources for it.  

22 hours ago, Eric. said:

It's odd that they don't offer any FAS.

Well in that case Owl's prices are much better, because it is all FAS, unless otherwise noted.

I think Kettle Morraine mills and dries their own domestics.  The two other mills I buy from also offer two grades: "Select and Better" and "Rustic" (i.e. everything else).  I guess it is just easier when manually grading to create two stacks.  I don't have the standards in front of me, but I think the difference between FAS and S&B is minimum board width/legth (just looked... EDIT: Select and Better = FAS 1 Face, so it is FAS on a single face and 1 com the bad side).  

Eric, I know you know all this... this is more for other members.  My understanding (from Don, RIP) is that larger operations have automated grading - the boards are computer scanned and sorted for grade and color.  In most species color (i.e. sap vs. heart) doesn't figure into grade (see page 6), but for species like cherry and maple (where all heart and all sap are desired, respectively) it does behoove a distributor to bin based on color.  

http://www.esf.edu/wus/documents/IllustratedGradingGuide.pdf

2 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

My dealer doesn't treat sapwood as a defect in cherry either...I thought that was normal?

It is normal.  Sapwood is not a defect and a FAS board can have unlimited sap.  But commercial distributors will sell all heart cherry or all sap maple because 1) the industry demands it and 2) they can get a higher price.  

23 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

They also started selling steamed cherry at my place as well in the last couple months... Not sure I like it or not

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You don't.  trust me.  

6 hours ago, Mike. said:

It is normal.  Sapwood is not a defect and a FAS board can have unlimited sap.  But commercial distributors will sell all heart cherry or all sap maple because 1) the industry demands it and 2) they can get a higher price.  

Got me to thinking, don't know that I would know the difference between heart and sap on maple?  Gotta be though, huh?

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Got me to thinking, don't know that I would know the difference between heart and sap on maple?  Gotta be though, huh?

If you don't know the difference, then I'm guessing your lumber suppliers don't stock any boards with any heartwood, because it's a noticeably darker brown.

JT - that pic is soft maple, but red soft maple is pretty similar to hard maple.  Red Maple is the species name, while it can have a little more color, the stuff that is all sap will look more like the hard maple we are all accustomed to.  That particular sample seems to have a little heart  

Maple trees are unique in that they are mostly sapwood.  If you have ever seen a felled maple log you will notice it is 2/3 or more sap, with a small cicle of brown heart.  Of course this varies by growing conditions.

I know I am in the minority, but I love maple with color.  It might have less commercial value, but maple that has not been sorted for color can have streaks of brown, red tones and even blue tones.   Look at some of Krenov's work or the dresser in the reader's gallery of the newest issue of FWW  

Here is a sample of some hard maple I quartersawed.  the brown streaks are heartwood. 

image.jpeg