AMT 14" Bandsaw - Worth snagging?

MisterDrow

Look it over carefully and it there are any broken or missing parts, consider walking away. As Steve said, AMT isn't in business anymore. I inherited an AMT hollow chisel mortise from my father. The gas cylinders on it were blown and I wasn't able to find replacements. I jury rigged something and it sort of worked, but it had so many issues I replaced it with a Powermatic unit. I gave the AMT to someone else who thinks he can repair it.

Yeah there's probably a hundo of scrap metal there, worst case scenario.  But it just looks like another PITA project that ain't nobody got time fo dat.  At least I don't.

I don't think it would be a bad buy though.  If you get it home and it falls apart, just sell it for a hundo.

12 hours ago, Eric. said:

Yeah there's probably a hundo of scrap metal there, worst case scenario.  But it just looks like another PITA project that ain't nobody got time fo dat.  At least I don't.

I don't think it would be a bad buy though.  If you get it home and it falls apart, just sell it for a hundo.

Except that scrap iron & steel are only worth about a penny a pound.

Thanks for the input. My current bandsaw is a small benchtop model. It worked fine until I got to the point of wanting to re-saw larger pieces of wood. Been stalking Craigslist for a bigger/better one. Unfortunately, when I called the guy last night he said that someone was on their way to get it.

Honestly, I didn't truly have the money to spend this time around anyways so it's probably for the best. If I see a really good deal I can't pass up, I'll shift some savings around and make it work but some delayed gratification can be a good thing.

Of course, I could always try resawing by hand but that just sounds awful!

• 6 years later...