Trim ideas

Cliff

As I mentioned in my build journal, my countertop is about 1/2" or more short on each side. It was a rookie mistake, I admit. I'm not 100% sure how I managed it. So we'll move on. 

I can trim out the top edges with some walnut, the problem, hopefully, you can see in the pic below. I have circled it. I could use some ideas for how to make that work and not look stupid. We are not tiling down next to the counter, it will stop with the top of the counter line. 

20160718_181908.jpg

And here is a view from the top as well.

20160718_181955.jpg

Appreciate any input.

26 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Cliff, are both pics of the same side of the counter? The paint looks different but both look like the right side.

It is the same, any difference is a result of camera phone, or the fact that we didn't carry the green all the way over since we're tiling there. 

Ok, we've set up a prototype of sorts with some of your ideas. 

I have 1/2" cement board downstairs that I can cut out to the shape of the area we will tile on each side wall. Then set up the tile and bull nose as see in the pic. Does this look non-stupid at a glance? I know that once you stare at it you go.. "wait a minute.. whats going on here." 

My wife poo'd on Eric's idea.

20160718_203809.jpg

Won't 1/2" be too thick?  I was thinking 1/4" would still let you set the bullnose on the wall, but still cover the edge of the field tile.

Or maybe there are other trim pieces you could use to put under the bullnose to bring it out some.  I think the bullnose should cover the cut edges of the field tile.

11 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Won't 1/2" be too thick?  I was thinking 1/4" would still let you set the bullnose on the wall, but still cover the edge of the field tile.

Or maybe there are other trim pieces you could use to put under the bullnose to bring it out some.  I think the bullnose should cover the cut edges of the field tile.

True. I may have to look at it again. I just checked and we got 5/8" bullnose. 

Edit - Looks like my local lowes has 1/4" cement board so I'll just pick up a piece of that tomorrow then play "find the stud"

PowerGrab will hold it up there fine.  Just give it a day to set before you set the tile on it.  Of course it wouldn't hurt to put a couple of fasteners in there.  The 1/4" Hardie type backer is easier to cut than the other stuff.  The tile doesn't have to come over on top of the counter-just barely get there, or almost.  If almost, the bead of caulking will finish.

You should be able to see where the studs are by looking in the upper cabinets.

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

You can stuff foam backer rod between the counter and the wall before you put the 1/4" tile backer then any caulk won't just fall out below the tile.

I will do that!

6 minutes ago, Tom King said:

PowerGrab will hold it up there fine.  Just give it a day to set before you set the tile on it.  Of course it wouldn't hurt to put a couple of fasteners in there.  The 1/4" Hardie type backer is easier to cut than the other stuff.  The tile doesn't have to come over on top of the counter-just barely get there, or almost.  If almost, the bead of caulking will finish.

You should be able to see where the studs are by looking in the upper cabinets.

Oh I had no idea what you meant by PowerGrab. I'll look for that. The cabinets, I think, are not screwed into the side walls, just the back. Not 100% sure but we couldn't find any screws. 

12 minutes ago, Andy Wright said:

To fill the gap at the edge I would cut a piece of walnut that matches your countertop (you probably have scrap). If you glue in a 3" piece with CA glue that matches the edge profile of the counter then no one will ever notice. You can also avoid the trim coming down past the countertop

That's the other camp I am in.. I'm going to make test pieces and see how I like it