Incra 5000

logos

So I've been a big proponent of making your own sleds. At one time I had 5 cross cut sleds. I'm sure others have more

I had some "honey do" mirrors and frames to make this month. A couple of the frames were a bit to big for my miter sled. Was about to make a monster sized sled when I saw the rockler incra 5000 sled sale price. Had a birthday gift card that I've been saving so I figured I'd give it a try.

I also have a good buddy who kept telling me his miters were dead on with it I was skeptical!

It took almost as long to set up and dial in as to make a new picture frame sled but once set up it is pretty dead on.

After making 4 frames from 8 to 40 inches I can recommend this sled!

Was going to do a bit more of a review with pictures but I'm tired.

Anyway, incra made a great product and I recommend it for anyone considering this!

A lot of the time you can get away with not backing up cherry, maple, walnut when crosscutting with a nice sharp crosscut blade...but try that with wenge and you'll be sorry, I promise.  I almost always slap a plywood or MDF backer on my Incra with some double-stick tape and toss it when it's chewed up.

11 hours ago, Cliff said:

Maybe I need to sharpen my combo blade. Or use a dedicated crosscut.. I get pretty crappy tearout with my kreg miter bar system

Cliff, have you cleaned your blade?  I've cut a lot of pine, cedar, and plywood for outdoor projects lately and I noticed my tablesaw and tracksaw blades getting really gummed up with funk.  They cut a lot better once cleaned.

I've used the Boeshield Blade & Bit cleaner in the past - it works well:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N9YLWK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GPF4NC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=FEEQJHVWB8GRNA6Y7FA4

More recently I got a blade and bit cleaning kit from Rocker - it comes with a round plastic tub you can soak the blade in... I didn't have anything big enough to do that, and using the sink was a bit wasteful (needed a LOT of cleaner to get the blade covered), and I was always worried I'd either hurt my blade's cutting edge or scratch the sink.  It also comes with a smaller tub for router bits.

The cleaning solvent doesn't seem all that special, I'll probably go back to the B&B cleaner once this is used up, but it does work.

The kit also has a wire brush.  I generally don't go crazy for Rockler's gimmick-y products, but I'm pretty happy with this one for $28.

http://www.rockler.com/router-bit-and-saw-blade-cleaning-kit?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=COqc_6uJh84CFcZbhgodTnkCkA

• Like 1

I have been thinking about buying the Incra 1000HD since it's also on sale at Rockler. I have also been wanting to build a good crosscut sled similar to Nick Ferry and William Ng's designs. Would I be better off just going ahead and spending the extra to get the Incra 5000? It seems like the price difference between the 5000 and 1000 would be pretty similar to what I'd have to spend in hardware to build either of those sleds.

3 hours ago, -MattK- said:

The cleaning solvent doesn't seem all that special, I'll probably go back to the B&B cleaner once this is used up, but it does work.

The kit also has a wire brush.  I generally don't go crazy for Rockler's gimmick-y products, but I'm pretty happy with this one for $28.

http://www.rockler.com/router-bit-and-saw-blade-cleaning-kit?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=COqc_6uJh84CFcZbhgodTnkCkA

I have that kit too and it's very convenient.  I agree that the solvent isn't the greatest but that's because it's not as caustic as some of the others.  It's that kind of citrus smelling stuff.  Just leave your blades and bits in the bath a bit longer and it all comes off.  The more cost effective way would be to find an appropriate sized Tupperware container at Big Lots, and use your own solvent.

Matt is right...try cleaning your blade.  I find more often than not when I get a dull blade that it just needs a cleaning and not a sharpening.  If you clean it and it's still cutting like crap, then you know what to do.

And honestly, I wouldn't judge if a blade is dull by whether or not you get tearout crosscutting a board without a backer.  If you DON'T get tearout doing that, just consider yourself lucky.  Best practice is to back up every single cut, always.  I'm guilty of gambling from time to time too, but when you lose the gamble you've got no one but yourself to blame.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about buying the Incra 1000HD since it's also on sale at Rockler. I have also been wanting to build a good crosscut sled similar to Nick Ferry and William Ng's designs. Would I be better off just going ahead and spending the extra to get the Incra 5000? It seems like the price difference between the 5000 and 1000 would be pretty similar to what I'd have to spend in hardware to build either of those sleds.

I would prefer a cross cut sled if I was only doing 90 degree cuts. I was also satisfied with my shop made picture frame sled but I had a size limitation. My main reason for buying the incra sled was being able to do really large pieces at perfect 45 degree cuts, being able to easily set up for odd angles, easy repeatability with a incra stop, being able to free up some wall space by replacing my 3 main sleds, and sale price of sled

I had a bit of tear out with some fir yesterday but some tape fixed that problem

Made this 41 inch frame 3 days ago. Didn't need to sand with glue at the miters as the joints were dead on. Also could easily use dowels for the joints due to the accuracy. I always have probs adjusting dowel miter joints if the joints arent accuarate

8b64b7247e86d9fb4689f5cd59b0ea76.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -MattK- said:

Cliff, have you cleaned your blade?  I've cut a lot of pine, cedar, and plywood for outdoor projects lately and I noticed my tablesaw and tracksaw blades getting really gummed up with funk.  They cut a lot better once cleaned.

I've used the Boeshield Blade & Bit cleaner in the past - it works well:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N9YLWK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GPF4NC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=FEEQJHVWB8GRNA6Y7FA4

More recently I got a blade and bit cleaning kit from Rocker - it comes with a round plastic tub you can soak the blade in... I didn't have anything big enough to do that, and using the sink was a bit wasteful (needed a LOT of cleaner to get the blade covered), and I was always worried I'd either hurt my blade's cutting edge or scratch the sink.  It also comes with a smaller tub for router bits.

I like the looks of that kit. Think I'll pick it up. Thanks for the tip

I use the rockler kit as well.

Has anyone ever used the dishwasher with a gentle soap?

Not actually using the dishwasher, I just soak mine in hot water with a few drops of Dawn. Then the gunk wipes right off. Rags tend to snag on the teeth, so I use a nylon brush, but no hard scrubbing is needed.

I bet the dishwasher will work, just don't let the wife catch you!

I think in a dishwasher they would dry fast enough the it wouldn't rust. especially if you take them out as soon as the was cycle ends & wipe them off.

I've never used the dishwasher, but blades have never rusted when I cleaned them in the laundry sink.

I don't think I would use the dishwasher as I would feel the wrath of my wife's displeasure.

I remember when I was into fresh water fishing as a youngster storing maggot pupae (casters) livebait in a container in the fridge and feeling the lash of my mothers tongue when she found out. I didn't do that again!

• Like 1