Shop Organization and Lumber Acquisition

I finally have a much needed break from working on projects for other people. Last week I was able to insulate my shop and get it cleaned up. This has allowed the air conditioner to actually do something useful for once. I am now able to keep it at about 80 on the days its in the mid 90's outside. This weekend I was able to build a base cabinet that will store all of my sharpening stones, guides, etc and be a sharpening station as well. It will also store other random crap that will get used daily, but it's primary function is to have a place that I can sharpen and not have to worry about water splashing around. So i just went to the box store and bought a laminate counter top cheaper than I could have made a counter top for it. I built the top cabinet to store my clear finishes and all associated items since that area is where I load my spray gun at. Face frames are walnut, drawer fronts are maple, and boxes are cheap cabinet grade ply from HD. The door panels and back of the wall cabinet are 1/4" birch ply.

I also was able to get a pile of logs I had sawed up yesterday. We worked from about 8-2 and I got about 1500 bd ft from it. It is mostly walnut in 4/4 and 8/4, but there is also some 4/4 qtr sawn white oak, and 4/4, 8/4 red oak that will probably be used for patching barns. 

All the lumber turned out better than I expected. Any other time I have got lumber from logs I had it could be classified as Cletus wood, but this stack has been really clean and void free for the most part except for the red oak. I have started drying some of the 4/4 walnut, but still have to sticker the pile in the pictures since I don't have room to dry all of it at once. The last picture is the pile of offcuts that I now have to dispose of.

IMG_1834.JPGIMG_1832.JPGIMG_1831.JPG

10 minutes ago, midtnwoodworker said:

That's the truth! As long as it is walnut I should be good!

If you ever head towards Chattanooga stop by and get whatever you want. Not just the offcut pile but you are welcome to some of that big pile of walnut as well. I think it will take me forever to go through all of it,

Do you hear that knocking on your front door???  That's Ross!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midtnwoodworker said:

That's the truth! As long as it is walnut I should be good!

If you ever head towards Chattanooga stop by and get whatever you want. Not just the offcut pile but you are welcome to some of that big pile of walnut as well. I think it will take me forever to go through all of it,

(Frantically prepares a trip to Chatanooga... And figures out a way to haul wood back to Idaho)

• Like 1

Fantastic looking sharpening station! What did you use to mill the lumber? And where is it that you DON'T have room to sticker all of it at one time with as much room as I see. Heck, cut down some of that rice (that is rice, right?)!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Fantastic looking sharpening station! What did you use to mill the lumber? And where is it that you DON'T have room to sticker all of it at one time with as much room as I see. Heck, cut down some of that rice (that is rice, right?)!

I had a guy come with a portable mill. It was a Woodmizer LT40. It was able to cut through everything pretty quick and only hit one piece of metal. Since it didn't break any teeth I just had to pay a resharpening fee. Yeah I'll cut that rice down in about 3 months or so ;). I have plenty of room to just store it but I have an old box trailer that I use to dry lumber and that's where I am short on space.

13 minutes ago, prov163 said:

I think Hillsboro is between Monteagle and Manchester?  I was raised in Chattanooga and try to get back as often as possible.

Exactly. I live about 15 mins from Monteagle and about 20 from Manchester. Manchester is the closest town that has anything. Hillsboro has a stoplight, a tractor dealership, my dad's business, and 1 gas station. Not much of anything. Oh and a dollar general now since they are popping up like flies. :mellow:

12 minutes ago, BeautysBeast said:

It's only 2 hours to Hilsboro from Clarksville, and Walnut is sexahhh!!!  I may be able to trade you some Kiln dried cherry, and some home made wiskey... Are you a bartering man?  LOL.

Sure! I still have a bunch of cherry from the last logs I had dried, but will always take more cherry! The vanity I just made used some of that cherry. I'm not much of a drinker though so I'll just stick with the cherry.:)

On July 19, 2016 at 6:54 PM, midtnwoodworker said:

I finally have a much needed break from working on projects for other people. Last week I was able to insulate my shop and get it cleaned up. This has allowed the air conditioner to actually do something useful for once. I am now able to keep it at about 80 on the days its in the mid 90's outside. This weekend I was able to build a base cabinet that will store all of my sharpening stones, guides, etc and be a sharpening station as well. It will also store other random crap that will get used daily, but it's primary function is to have a place that I can sharpen and not have to worry about water splashing around. So i just went to the box store and bought a laminate counter top cheaper than I could have made a counter top for it. I built the top cabinet to store my clear finishes and all associated items since that area is where I load my spray gun at. Face frames are walnut, drawer fronts are maple, and boxes are cheap cabinet grade ply from HD. The door panels and back of the wall cabinet are 1/4" birch ply.

I also was able to get a pile of logs I had sawed up yesterday. We worked from about 8-2 and I got about 1500 bd ft from it. It is mostly walnut in 4/4 and 8/4, but there is also some 4/4 qtr sawn white oak, and 4/4, 8/4 red oak that will probably be used for patching barns. 

All the lumber turned out better than I expected. Any other time I have got lumber from logs I had it could be classified as Cletus wood, but this stack has been really clean and void free for the most part except for the red oak. I have started drying some of the 4/4 walnut, but still have to sticker the pile in the pictures since I don't have room to dry all of it at once. The last picture is the pile of offcuts that I now have to dispose of.

IMG_1834.JPGIMG_1832.JPGIMG_1831.JPG

Beautiful cabinets! Love the contrast of the wood!!

• Like 1