Working with really special wood.

Any of you guys ever balk when it comes time to use that really special wood you set aside for a project ? I ordered this 10/4 chunk of black walnut specifically for the crest rail of my sculpted rocker . I wanted something really really special for my first rockers crest rail.  It took a long time and a lot of money to find this perfectly matched color  piece and have it shipped to me . The problem I have often in this situation is before it comes time to use it I talk myself into saving it and using another less expensive or less special piece . In this case the substitute is a great piece too but not as desirable IMO . My question to those of you that use your best wood all the time . How do you do it and what's your logic ? And to the hoarders out there like me have you guys come up with methods to sway your choices . The piece in question is on the left. The piece on the right is what I'm considering substituting . (Ignore the arm template tracing I got a nice piece for the arms on the way I ordered all the 10/4 walnut for this rocker online )

20160719_221633.jpg

20160719_222149.jpg

• Like 1

My theory is to use what you want on that project.  You can always buy more.  I say go for the feathered one.  

Hold the heck on.. I've seen your shop.. there isn't 3 sqft empty to store more lumber.. why the heck are you BUYING walnut?  You have a tree or three of slabbed  awesomeness

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

My theory is to use what you want on that project.  You can always buy more.  I say go for the feathered one.  

Hold the heck on.. I've seen your shop.. there isn't 3 sqft empty to store more lumber.. why the heck are you BUYING walnut?  You have a tree or three of slabbed  awesomeness

Lol this is true . The slabs are claro walnut and some bastogne walnut those will become rockers in the future too.  I wanted my first rocker to be black walnut and I had plenty of fat cut  8/4 to do it . I only bought the headrest and arms :) and I'll have you know that lumber shop tour was after getting all the rosewood it's all put away now and I can move around again !

Thanks aj wish Me luck !

You have a ton of walnut, just do it.

Besides, it's not really that special, honestly.  It's just a piece of walnut with some okay figure.  It ain't curly koa.

Also, you may wanna look a little more closely at that piece before you cut into it.  Obviously I can't flip it over and look at the other side, but it appears in the picture that the figure doesn't go that deep.  You might end up sculpting it away and end up with an ordinary chunk of walnut anyway.  Know your wood before you start cutting.  Investigate.

7 hours ago, tcarswell said:

The problem I have often in this situation is before it comes time to use it I talk myself into saving it and using another less expensive or less special piece

Without fail I have found this to be a false economy.  I have learned (finally) to not second guess my design and material selection phases.  If the material has what you want in it, use it.  We are all pretty lucky in that there will be more boards and more projects ahead.  If you "settle" you will always know it.

Its nice walnut but eric is right, you might lose some of that crotch figure when you start carving.   Investigate the end grain and glue it so growth rings have the same orientation.  You will get a more harmonious result after carving.  

Personally I'd practice on poplar or whatever you can get cheap before carving the walnut.   

Playing keyboard psychologist for a minute, I think your reluctance to cut into the walnut might come from lack of confidence.  

30 minutes ago, Janello said:

If you're not going to use the nice walnut on a rocker, what will you use it on? Book shelf perhaps? This is the perfect time to use it.

Great point.  There are not a lot of uses for a couple 10/4 shorts.   If you don't use it now it will turn into a cutting board.  That cutting board will sit on your counter looking across at the rocker in envy, as it spends its life getting hacked up and subjected to scalding hot baths.   Meanwhile the rocker lives a life of leisure.  

I like using nicer wood, because the stakes are higher and i approach the task with a higher level of focus. For example, im doing two of marc's adirondack chairs out of cherry that i purchased for $.50 a bdft. How much do you think I care about wasting wood on that project? In fact, my carelessness and haste resulted in me routing a mortise on the bottom of the inside leg instead of the top. I plugged the mortise, and im sure no one will ever see it, but i wouldnt have been in a rush if the project were bubinga. Im using the cheap cherry to get it out of my basement, and lets face it, its going outside to get beat to hell by the elements. In a couple years when i tackle the maloof rocker, i am going all out with the best wood i can get my hands on. If a project takes an hour to make, then maybe it doesnt deserve your best lumber. However, if I spend 100-200 hours on a sculpted rocker, i would argue that very few boards are worthy of my effort. Plus, how many bdft does a rocker require, 40-75 bdft? I would expect to spend $500-1000 in lumber for that project. Shaving off $5+ a bdft for unfigured lumber on such a low quantity is penny-wise and dollar foolish.

Thanks guys. I think your right a lot of it stems from confidence issues. The crotch deepens as it goes away from the front of the picture most or at the very least 50 percent of it should be visible in the final product . If not then oh well I still have a defect free headrest . I appreciate your input guys and I had a friend give me a huge chunk of 12/4 alder to practice grinding on . Hopefully the arms show up soon.