Joinery for boxes using 1/4" wood

MisterDrow

I'm admitting my own inexperience here...

Making some test boxes to see what works best for some tabletop game deck boxes. I'd like to use 1/4" solid wood and plan on rabbeting the top and bottom but when it comes to the sides, is 1/4" enough for a miter joint? I know plain miters aren't very strong, typically, but I'm hoping that having the top and bottom put on with rabbets will help to give it strength. The smallest boxes will be roughly 3" x 3.25" and roughly 4" tall. My initial thought was splines but on 1/4" stock, it doesn't seem like that would add much.

Thoughts? Maybe I need to consider doing 3/8" instead unless I use plywood? I'm going to be messing around with some options tonight and would love some input/tips from those who know better.

Yeah... I just need to break down and build a box joint jig. I still don't have a dado stack and haven't had very good luck in the past getting box joints to work out well. I know it can be done, however, and with a jig maybe I'll have better results?

On the boxes I don't want to show end-grain, I'm assuming miters would be my only real option. Maybe given the utility of such a small box and the fact that the boxes aren't going to be under a lot of pressure/stress then the miters would be enough?

Miters can work if they are cut extremely accurate. There is a Brittish box maker on another site that does miter fold boxes from thin wood and veneers . I think he uses a router with a "vee" bit and tape on the outside to act as a hinge.

search for BritBoxmaker

I agree with Eric, which always worries me, that miters will be plenty strong.

If you use plywood for the bottoms you can glue them to the sides for added strength. You can use splines for extra strength and for looks.  Even with solid wood top/bottom wood movement won't be much of an issue on boxes that small.  

One other thing to make miters stronger is to paint the mitered ends with some thinned glue, let it sit 4-5 minutes then apply full strength glue and use tape and/or rubber bands to clamps it together. 

On small boxes thin sides look better, in my opinion.

• Like 1