Unknown wood

JerryJ

Some time ago I was gifted with a collection of wood from a supplier which is no longer in business.  Each board was labeled as to species.  One board was labeled "Gumbera".  I have not been able to find any reference to this wood name.  The wood is hard, close grained, straight-grained, red-brown color.  Any guesses on the species?

9 minutes ago, JerryJ said:

"Gumbera".

Probably mislabeled.  Google gives zero returns for that word.  Even the most obscure species names will give you a couple hits.  Possibly an obsolete local name for the species.  Or possibly some numbskull can't spell.  There are a lot of people out there who can't spell to save their lives.

But like the ape said, give us some high quality photos and maybe we can narrow it down.  Sounds like sapele or maybe bubinga from your description.

1 hour ago, JerryJ said:

Some time ago I was gifted with a collection of wood from a supplier which is no longer in business.  Each board was labeled as to species.  One board was labeled "Gumbera".  I have not been able to find any reference to this wood name.  The wood is hard, close grained, straight-grained, red-brown color.  Any guesses on the species?

Thank you h3nry.  I believe you have solved my problem.  I tested the piece and it does sink - so the density fits with what you suggest and the name - Gombeira - fits with someone spelling as it sounded to him.  I checked the detailed description of Gombeira.  The description of the pores fit the observed pores which are medium sized and filled with a light colored deposit.  I had considered Ekki as a possible wood based on the detailed characteristics but the spelling plus the characteristics have convinced me that Gombeira is the answer.

I appreciate the responses I received.