Best lint-free cloth for oil finish

DruBokkens

5 minutes ago, DruBokkens said:

Is there anything else at all that also works when I don't have any? Can't seem to find any definitive direction, other than old t-shirts, hence my question. Any thoughts on 50% cotton-50% polyester staining cloth? Utterly useless?

I've never run out of t-shirts but if I did I'd go to Goodwill and buy the oldest crappiest ones I could find for a buck a piece or so.  We actually have a Goodwill "outlet" downtown where you pay per pound for everything you buy.  You could get ten years worth of t-shirts for 20 bucks.

Honestly I've never found a fabric I like better for applying wipe-on finishes than old cut up t-shirts.  Why get fancy for no reason?

3 hours ago, DruBokkens said:

Is there anything else at all that also works when I don't have any? Can't seem to find any definitive direction, other than old t-shirts, hence my question. Any thoughts on 50% cotton-50% polyester staining cloth? Utterly useless?

Old whities or boxers if you want a glaze look.

13 hours ago, DruBokkens said:

Lots of places offer "Bags of Rags".  WalMart, Rockler, Amazon.  As long as they're 100% cotton, even if not "lint free" a few trips through the laundry will take care of that.

• Like 1

I also use the bag of rags from the paint store or home center.  

This is all personal preference but I have had better luck applying oil finishes and wipe on polys with a foam brush.  I will admit that I am an uncoordinated slob and the further the finish is away from my hands the better.  Foam brushes are also easier to dispose of without fire risk.  In fact, I dispose of oil soaked rags by burning them so that I have zero risk of spontaneous combustion.

The key is light, even coats and you can achieve that with either a foam brush or rag, just depends on your technique and what works better for you.

2 hours ago, DruBokkens said:

Somehow I didn't think about simply getting some at Goodwill and such. That reminds me, the t-shirts don't have to be white, right? Color won't hurt anything?

If you are worried, run them through bleach once and then rinse them twice. Most tees are already faded before they hit GWill. 

I've never experienced color bleeding into my finish.  But I do try to use the oldest shirts I can find.  If that means raiding my wife's or kids' drawers then I'll do what I have to do.  I've used some shirts that were fairly new but never brand new.  I'd do what Carus suggests - give them a wash or two - and you'll be fine.  I find the lint that comes off of newer shirts to be more of a nuisance than anything.