check this out . (customers curly koa skinned room )

I have a wonderful customer I did a large heating / ac system for. Well upon completion of the job I gave them a walnut end grain cutting board. They were thrilled and have since given me jobs here and there doing woodworking projects for them. The house is 6,000 square feet so one of them always has a fun project.  Anyways I was installing a surfboard rack for him recently and he was telling me about how his house in Palm desert has a curly koa paneled (veneer obviously ) living room. He finally sent me the pics the other day and I wanted to share them with you guys .  Hes not a photographer so be nice. Anyways he said they bought a storm downed koa tree from Hawaii and had it laid up into panels by a millwork shop in Los Angeles.  He said they put up the installers in a hotel and it took a few weeks. Hope you guys like the pictures. 

DSC00937.JPG

IMGP3534.JPG

• Like 1

He said it was roughly 300 plus thousand. However (and this is a big however ) seeing as how I don't know when they had this done I'm not sure if the 300 was the complete job the wood or the whole living room. One things for sure they have a real appreciation for woodwork and I'm super lucky to have them as my only woodworking customers . 

They are both super down to earth people as well

7 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

With  forget u  money like that,  it sounds like that could make a great client to have. 

These are my favorites.  They generally have friends of equal means as well.

That is some wall treatment and a great use/story of a downed tree. 

Yeah it's beautiful wood...but way too much of it.  Visual stimulation overload.  That's what happens when you have more money than you know what to do with.

The chandelier is gaudy too.  But hey, what do I know...I'm just a lowly peasant.

• Like 2

honestly I don't mind it. I give them credit for decorating in their own taste. 90% of high-end homes I see her either decorated with white wainscot and gray walls or the super modern look with concrete floors and white walls.. so many people decorate for resale value rather than staying true to their own taste. At least it is not farmhouse chic.. we would probably all like it more if they used a satin or matte finish I think the semi gloss does make it look a little gaudy. 

Love me some Koa. I'm about to break into my stash for my wife's 1st anniversary present.

I think that room would be perfect if they had used the Koa just on that front section with the fireplace and built-ins. And a satin finish.

I guess I don't mind it because I have always been partial to modern architecture, and paneling like that (but with a low gloss finish) is common in the Mies Van der Rohe type stuff I like.  I'd have a house like this is my wife could stomach it, but she can't.   We have decided that in retirement we will have a property with two houses, connected by a hallway.  

http://farnsworthhouse.org/gallery/

9 minutes ago, Aj3 said:

I wonder if Koa is in the same species as Mah.Its sure looks similar just a bit more orange.

The wood is beautiful but the design isn't timeless.What a shame.

Are any designs timeless?

Just now, Llama said:

Shaker... :)

Maybe.  Most stuff called shaker today doesn't look much like the stuff from the real shakers.  And I don't know how you decorate your house in a shaker style, unless you want bright yellow and bright blue walls all over the place.  The shakers loved their bright paints.  They used a lot more turned legs than I see in modern "shaker" furniture.  I have a hard time seeing turned legs and not thinking "grandma".  But I guess that is just me.  

But yes, simple is always better.  With that I will agree.