Drum Sander

midtnwoodworker

Would you go with this for $500?     https://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5685193384.html

It's 15 mins from my house is mainly why it's being considered. Everything is typically an hour away at least.

Pros-Dual Drum, Fully supported drum

Cons-Non-variable feed rate, used, grizzly

Or just get a supermax? Almost ready to pull the trigger on the supermax, but then this pops up.

wdwerker speaks true.  There are certain tools where there really isn't any such thing as an "OK" one.  They either do their job correctly or they are pretty worthless.  Like a jointer that won't flatten boards or a bandsaw that won't cut straight, I put a wide belt or drum sander in this category.

I'll assume you are sure you want a drum sander.  Some folks get them thinking their sanding days are over.  This is no more true for a power sander than it is for a power planer in my shop. 

Don't get me wrong, my Supermax saves me plenty of time to qualify for its enormous footprint and I wouldn't want to give it up.  As for a used sander; at a third of the cost it can seem like a dream but, could also be a nightmare if it doesn't work well or cannot be made to.

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

DRO ?

Digital Read Out.  Although I am a fan of these and have them on my planer and tablesaw I found that on the router table and the drum sander they were of little actual use to me.  Probably depends on how you use them and what you do

Not having sandsmart and variable speed would be deal breakers for me on a DS. You are going to burn so much paper and projects while you become educated on speeds and grits. I would buy the grizzly if i was tight on cash, making cutting boards for sale, and knew i was only going to have it a year or so before selling it for the purchase price and upgrading. 

9 hours ago, wdwerker said:

DRO ?

Yes, digital read out - sorry, I was in a hurry.  I find the DRO to be indispensable.  My machine is well setup and calibrated and I find the DRO to be very accurate.  The main thing I do is guitar woods - backs, sides, tops - and if I want a top to be 0.095", for instance, then I can dial it in and know that's what I'll get.