Miter saw station.

bglenden

I just got a miter saw (Kapex) and need to build a miter saw station for it in my garage workshop. I'm thinking something permanently up against a wall rather than on wheels. I don't love building shop furniture, so simpleish would be nice. 

Does anyone have a design they like?

6 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I need to build one too. Any recommendations on how much space left and right of the blade?

For me, I wanted 8' on the left side (as you're facing it) of the blade and use it more often than you'd think..  I ended up with more on the right but, rarely use that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Is there a reason you guys don't have "stuff" sitting on your flat surfaces that you have to clean off before using your tools?

I'll be honest..  I had just finished building it..  However, I do tend to keep my shop pretty clean..

6 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Is there a reason you guys don't have "stuff" sitting on your flat surfaces that you have to clean off before using your tools?

I discovered years back that clutter attracts clutter so I stopped leaving anything on flat surfaces. Amazing the difference! Also, I am a bit of a weirdo that likes to be able to walk into my shop at anytime and make something, not having to spend 20 minutes getting it so I can actually use the table saw. It becomes a habit.

6 hours ago, estesbubba said:

I need to build one too. Any recommendations on how much space left and right of the blade?

I agree with Tiods, left side but for me it is because I am right handed and I always measure out that side. I have 3.5 metres (about 12 feet) to the left and about the same out to the right hand side but never measure that side. I just like to have equal length support either side so I can do a square cut and then slide the timber to the left hand side to dock to length without moving the stop every time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eric. said:

Just wing it, custom...whatever works for your own space.

DSC_0007.jpg

Hey Eric, that looks like a nice jig for box splines, Love your t tracks for docking fence adjustments, and the utilization of the docking bench for the bandsaw. We have the same DeWalt router/trimmer!

• Like 2

Just now, estesbubba said:

@TIODS are you planning on incorporating your miter saw dust collection into your ducting using something like a big gulp?

I have the CT on it now and will incorporate the CV over there as well but, I'm still exploring the options and haven't decided what the "final answer" will be.  Unfortunately, with the current work schedule, it's been moved down the priority list.

1 hour ago, TIODS said:

I have the CT on it now and will incorporate the CV over there as well but, I'm still exploring the options and haven't decided what the "final answer" will be.  Unfortunately, with the current work schedule, it's been moved down the priority list.

Hey guys. I did a lot of trial and error with my "well" behind the saw. I ended up with a slot the full width right at the back of the well. Below that is a chamber that has a 5 inch blast gate glued to it and a 5 inch hose runs into my main line. I am super impressed by how well it works.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Dave you have any detailed pics of what you ended up doing?

Took some pics today for you. Basically it is a melamine box under the saw with a slot at the top rear and a hole in the middle of the base of the box with a 5 inch blast gate silicone glued to it. The line connects to my main behind the kick board. You can see how I first installed the system on my YouTube channel. https://youtu.be/A0b8aUdMPWk

WP_20160723_010.jpg

WP_20160723_011.jpg

WP_20160723_012.jpg

WP_20160723_008.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks all for the great info / examples to look up to.

Do you guys have any mechanisms to level the saw in the well with the surrounding bench top and to fix it in position front to back? My guess is that shimming it to height should be enough for height, but allowing front to back movement should be done (to accommodate auxiliary fences of different thicknesses, or for when the auxiliary fences are off altogether (when you need the maximum crosscut capacity or whatever).

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2016 at 7:33 AM, TIODS said:

Now that you have your ducting what did you end up doing for your miter station dust collection? 

11 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Now that you have your ducting what did you end up doing for your miter station dust collection? 

Nothing yet Mike, I still haven't been home.  

I did add the Y and a cap in the main trunk so, I can get over there without any issue but, unfortunately, with the work schedule, it will probably be next year before I do anything with it.

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

You mean you're gonna use the CV to capture some of the dust that the CT doesn't get, like with a shroud or something?  Or you're gonna try to hook the CV directly up to the Kapex DC port?

Will be some sort of shroud in combination with the dedicated CT, yes..