My Oasis

Janello

Thats a great looking back yard John.  I am envious of your space, here in California a lot of back yards wouldn't fit inside you pool fence line.  

Can you educate me a little, what do you mean by new liner for the pool?  The pools out here are gunite with a plaster surface.

34 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Can you educate me a little, what do you mean by new liner for the pool?  The pools out here are gunite with a plaster surface.

I am not overly knowledgeable on this subject. I think most pools nowadays are fiberglass, but my pool is about 30 years old and appears to have vermiculite sides and walls. I think some older pools had metal walls. on my pool they use a foam padding on the walls under the vinyl liner to protect it from sharp blows that can cut the liner. Here's a pic after the old liner was removed and before the new foam was installed. 

4013.jpeg

I don't lose many battles, but I lost that one in dramatic fashion.  She wasn't budging.  I don't blame her...it's a huge expense for almost no return...but I want(ed) one badly.  I'm over it.  I'll just plant more maples and dwarf conifers in my yard.  Also planning a nice patio and fire pit eventually.  But I'd rather have a pool.  And an indentured servant to maintain it.

I was just busting your balls.  A pool makes more sense in St Louis than Chicago, but in both cases it sits idle most of the year.  A hot tub on the other hand....

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

I don't lose many battles, but I lost that one in dramatic fashion.  She wasn't budging.  I don't blame her...it's a huge expense for almost no return...but I want(ed) one badly.  I'm over it.  I'll just plant more maples and dwarf conifers in my yard.  Also planning a nice patio and fire pit eventually.  But I'd rather have a pool.  And an indentured servant to maintain it.

Having taken care of this pool for 25 years, I have to say your wife might have indirectly done you a huge favor. Pools are a ton of work, not to mention money. I've spent the better part of those 25 years chasing different problems from water balance to motor swaps to filter maintenance. Grab a garden hose and a beer! lol

You'd be amazed at how many times you think you got the pool thing figured out, and then something else went wrong.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Janello said:

Having taken care of this pool for 25 years, I have to say your wife might have indirectly done you a huge favor. Pools are a ton of work, not to mention money. I've spent the better part of those 25 years chasing different problems from water balance to motor swaps to filter maintenance. Grab a garden hose and a beer! lol

You'd be amazed at how many times you think you got the pool thing figured out, and then something else went wrong.

I have to agree with this. If it isn't a pump that has went out its a tear in the liner. Then the heater will just stop working for no reason. Oh and now you have a leak that you have to find somewhere. Sometimes I think about just filling the damn thing in and moving on.

John that looks great!! I need to change my wife's pool liner next year if you don't mind me asking what was the pattern you went with? I really like the dark blue. And your right ten years in it can be a fair amount of work but my wife is a teacher and uses it a lot since she only works part time in the summer so i guess its ok. At my house i'm just the pool boy keep it clear and she is happy LOL

4 hours ago, Eric. said:

Maybe explains the authoritarian in you here.........Not saying, just sayin'

I was thinking earlier today that i haven't seen a post from john in a long time. It all makes sense now. That's an awesome backyard, I'm not jealous of how much work it must take. Not many out door activities make sense in my state. we get 3 months of pool weather 3 months of golfing weather and 6 months of "HOLY CRAP IT'S COLD"