Are wood prices dropping?

estesbubba

I had to pick up some more cherry for my bed project and it was $4.15 for 15/16 SEL&BTR. When I bought it earlier this year it was $4.65 and 10 years ago over $5. The same place currently has an overstock of 15/16 FAS walnut and is selling it for $5.15 but you have to pull it from the top (no picking). A lot of their other hardwoods seem lower than they've been in the past except hard maple seems higher. I don't if there's a current trend nationwide of hardwood prices dropping. Anyone else seeing this? 

I'm tempted to stock up on some cherry buy my shop is already full and there is already overflow into my garage, but I don't have a lot of cherry. I keep telling myself to buy as needed but that has been easier said than done in my woodworking days. The walnut is tempting too but I have 2 good sources of kiln dried and NOT steamed local walnut that always has nice color. I have to keep telling myself the local stuff is better and cheaper even though $5 for steamed is a great price. 

I know of no downward trend except possibly red oak (although rumor has it that RO could be going up soon based on the higher demand and higher cost of white oak due to the micro-distillery craze).  Cherry is stable and walnut is on the rise.  There are many factors that can lower or raise a price by 10%...I wouldn't call it a trend.  If it gets down to $3/bf and stays that way for a year then something is going on...I wouldn't hold my breath.

My buddy Bob Kloes who is a seller of hardwoods and furniture make, is saying low quality log prices are dropping because the demand for pallet wood has dropped. High quality is still moving and prices are steady. China has dropped imports by a huge amount but wood is still moving. Not sure if this helps to answer your question????

-Ace-

Estes, I just sent you a pm, & took a tour of your shop. Wow, brother! You've got an awesome shop! I wish had the room you do! I've got a small shop with several "older" tools in it. Wood prices in this part of the world are high, it don't matter if it's pine or walnut. The price depends on the species of wood out here in the middle of nowhere. They don't have any competition in these one horse towns, so the price is whatever they decide that day. And the wood is JUNK!!