Opinions on Laguna Tools?

Griff

Many of them are just Jet rebrands it seems, then their lower priced bandsaws are still made in China like all the others in the lower price range. I have read a lot of mixed reviews regarding their products and even more with respect to their customer service. What specifically were you looking for and what were you looking to spend?

4 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

Many of them are just Jet rebrands it seems, then their lower priced bandsaws are still made in China like all the others in the lower price range. I have read a lot of mixed reviews regarding their products and even more with respect to their customer service. What specifically were you looking for and what were you looking to spend?

I haven't really seen anything other that the 1412 bandsaw and a Laguna fusion table saw I have heard a lot of great things about the 1412! If I upgraded my bandsaw that was one I was looking into but don't know much about the company. Not sure what other good bandsaws are out there ether 

I had an Lt18 3000 made in China. It showed up at my house like a truck ran it over. Laguna was great about it and I sent it back for an Lt18HD which is made in Italy. It's an absolutely amazing saw. I got a driftmaster fence thrown into the deal and it arrived beat up. They sent me a new one and it was better. I also have a 1412 which is made in China. My dealer knew I would not buy a chinese Laguna unless it was assembled at his store and tested and brought to me in perfect shape. That's what he did and it's a great little saw.

I think the Italian made Laguna tools are really awesome and would have no trouble recommending them. Id be very careful buying the Chinese made stuff from them as it's seems like they only have blind people doing Qc over there.

In terms of customer service they are great.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you sure your 1412 was made in China, @shaneymack?  Mine was made in Taiwan.  It arrived pristine, and the fit and finish on it is among the best of any of my machines.

No, not sure. Just assumed. Thought their stuff was made in China or Italy. If yours was made in Taiwan, I guess mine was as well.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I bought a 14BX not that long ago. I wanted a machine that could do it all with a simple blade change. I have thrown 10-11" cuts at it and it doesn't miss a beat. I spent a little more to get the 2.5 hp motor but have no regrets on that. The only thing i don't like about mine is that the tape measure on it sat a little too proud and feeding boards into it has worn it off in a matter of 3 months of light use. The toolless ceramic blade guides are great. I got a blade change done before i started sweating my garage is currently 100F.

I bought their LT 3000 18" BS a few years ago (made in Taiwan) and have been very happy the quality and durability.  I couldn't say what the differences are between this model and the LT18HD.  Their customer service was exceptional BTW.  

As for other machines, I'd love to hear from anyone who's operated their TS or T5S table saw.  They fall into their "industrial line" which I believe means you have to buy direct from Laguna.  Nice looking machines.  

Most of their lineup looks like the typical Taiwanese rebadging, but their bandsaws are a unique lineup. I have their 20" Italian bandsaw and it's a boss. Build quality is great and I'm a fan of their tool less ceramic guide system. Their 14" modes look pretty sweet too compared to the typical C frame crap everyone produces. 

I'm sure that the Laguna tools are not simply rebadged Jet... at least no more than every other import brand is a rebadge of 3 other brands. You can find nearly identical tools in nearly every brand out there if you look carefully enough.

What IS different, and this is just my opinion, is that the QA level and tolerances differ between the companies that have these machines built to spec. The fit and finish on the 1412 that I bought is really good and the packaging was out of this world. 

I agree that Laguna has mixed reviews on customer service, but my own experience has been outstanding. There was a mix up with the local shipping company and I let Laguna know about it. They sent a free saw blade for my trouble. 

Anyway I will certainly consider Laguna for any future tool purchases based on the experience that I've had.

• Like 1

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 6:54 PM, difalkner said:

We got the 14 SUV almost two years ago along with the Resaw King 1" carbide tipped blade and it has been an amazing combination - love the saw and the service.  Here's a quick video of a 14" wide resaw on Sinker Mahogany -

Sinker Mahogany resaw

I just looked up sinker mahogany

expensive stuff

1 hour ago, weithman5 said:

I just looked up sinker mahogany

expensive stuff

Yes, it is.  But this wasn't mine, all we did is cut it for someone.  After cutting it I think they need to rename it 'stinker Mahogany'.  Bad smelling stuff but pretty and a nice tone.

• Like 1