Is Back Beveling Necessary?

Hammer5573

10 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Do not back bevel chisels.  You can use the ruler trick on plane blades to save time sharpening, but it's unnecessary and unwise on chisels.  You want an absolutely dead flat back on a chisel.

Just in case Eric was not clear, NO  back bevel on a chisel. Be fanatically religious about this. It only takes a microscopic bit of bevel in the back of a chisel to ruin its function. It'll still cut, buy you'll have no control. I know this from experience.

I don't but a back bevel on plane blades, because by the time I heard of it, all my plane blades had been flattened & polished, so no point. It didn't take long to get them that way.

• Like 1

When is aback bevel desirable? 1)If you have a badly dished backside to an ancient iron you want to put to work. 2)If you have a single iron woodie bedded at 45° and you want to play around with higher pitches. 

BTW Tom, I got ***ched at here for implying the ruler trick was a gimmick. Maybe crutch is better phraseology. 

The Ruler Trick, championed by David Charlesworth, is an excellent quick method of ensuring that the back of a plane blade is as well prepared as the bevel face. This is not for everyone (I do not use it currently), but it does have its supporters, and some are very well-known and experienced woodworkers.

Where the RT is particularly helpful is when honing BU plane blades. The very fine (2/3 degree) backbevel is placed where a wear bevel might otherwise grow. A wear bevel will reduce the edge on these blades. The RT will prevent its incusion.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

• 1 month later...