More Doucette and Wolfe

Eric.

8 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Yeah I've seen this one... You had me excited for a sec ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They are literally the only channel I have my phone alert me to new videos .I loved the curly cherry entertainment center and tea table. This was one of their best !

14 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I just love the backing music mixed with the calm sound of hand planes too... Then I usually barf at the end after they make everything look like a freaking orange.

Kiki is in denial about this but they dye (aka stain) most of their maple and mahogany projects with alcohol soluble aniline dyes.   It is well accepted in the new england repro world to do that.  

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Kiki is in denial about this but they dye (aka stain) most of their maple and mahogany projects with alcohol soluble aniline dyes.   It is well accepted in the new england repro world to do that.  

Don't know who Kiki is...but yeah I've only seen one or two projects that weren't dyed like that and they were my favorite by far.

Awesome.

Tools by, but not limited to, LN, LV, Auriou, Benchcrafted. I spied a Roubo in the background and that extra wide Moxon vise was fantastic. Not sure what make the gouges were. Custom plywood jigs. All things we are familiar with. Carving is not one of my skills yet but I'm sure it will be a future aspiration.

They have great skills and still only youngsters too. I'd never heard of them until this posting. Thanks for linking it Eric. 

That has to be the most disgusting thing I've watched in years! Those guys did in 18 minutes, what would take me 20 years to do! Absolutely beautiful work. Makes me feel like I have playschool tools and skills! Damn you Eric/Kiki for shaming me.... But thank you for the link!

9 hours ago, tcarswell said:

Love it but this is an old one isn't it ?

I never miss their stuff it's all top notch.  Their website has some prices too . Given the skill necessary it seems to be a bargain.  

8 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Yeah I've seen this one... You had me excited for a sec ?

I guess in the world of the 24 hour news cycle, yeah, it's old...8 months.  I don't spend that much time on youtube so I wasn't caught up.  This was the second most recent video they did.  Probably the second most recent project they built...when it's just one guy doing this level of work, each project takes months.

7 hours ago, Mike. said:

I'm not in denial, I just don't like it.  I know the point of a repro is to repro the LOOK of a 2-300 year old piece of furniture...I just wish they'd let them age naturally.  It's still beautiful stuff and I only dream of attaining such skill, so I'm in no position to criticize.

I assume most repro work is going to houses/hotels/offices full of other reproductions and antiques, so it makes sense they want the finishes to look old.  Personally I am not a fan either, I actually think that dark red dyed mahogany looks kinda cheap (like poplar/alder kitchen cabinets passed off as cherry).  But maybe that it is my own baggage.  I have seen a few samples of cuban/american mahogany (both on antiques and lumber from south florida storm damaged trees.  My dealer gets some small slabs from South Florida every once in a while).  I does have a deeper brown/red color than genuine/south american.  

9 hours ago, Aj3 said:

I liked the way he used his miter plane Like a smoother.I wonder if it was the only one still sharp.

I haven't seen him just use the miter as a smoother. He uses it almost every time he encounters changing grain direction. He smooths dovetail cases and apron tops this way. I think he was just going far enough into the case top so that he could work the dovetails down. You notice he moves to a standard plane a little later to smooth the field of the top. The miter plane caught my eye the first I saw him use it so I have tried to study why when I see it out. 

I've seen him use a number of planes for smoothing including standard angle, low angle, block plane, even a rabbet plane.  I can't think of a reason why he does this except he just grabs the sharpest blade he's got on hand.  Using a smaller plane at times might have something to do with control, too.  I wish I could apprentice with him for a month or two.

Always enjoy watching a craftsman at work.  Always something to pick up while watching someone who has a mature work method that they are very comfortable with.  With delivery times pushing the 24 month mark I would say the wait is well worth it. 

It makes me feel good just watching him; truly a step above many other fine craftsman and an inspiration.  After all that I guess I should state for the record that I don't really care for the style and this is a perfect example of where the art of the craft supersedes any preference for the specific style or period of the piece.