Butcher block table, what species?

Slm220

I was asked to build a extremely large Butcher Block Table( 90in x 48in ). I was wondering what species of wood I should use to keep the cost down while maintaining a durable table top. This table will be for a family with a lot of kids if that means anything.

Ash stains well and is generally pretty cheap. 

Or just use cherry and skip the stain.  I bet the extra cost in lumber will be offset by the saved labor time.  

If you haven't ever made a butcher block top do some smaller practice pieces first ! Practice flattening too ! You are looking at a fairly serious project. That size top at 2" or 3" thick is more than one man can muscle around .

Dye will give you much better results than stain. Sprayed will be more uniform but it can be done by hand. Poplar might be more affordable depending on what part of the country you are in. Play with dying a sample before you commit.

• Like 1

That's a very complicated build if your going end grain.Long grain with the cutting board look still going challenge a well outfitted shop.

Makes me think your really pushing the limits of your ability since your asking about wood choice.

Nothing wrong with that.

Id skip he idea of staining and just go for Walnut.

It will be the right color it easy to work and it's very stable if it's properly dried.

Aj

Nothing wrong with a steel undercarriage, so long as it is attached to allow seasonal wood movement, and has some support in the middle, not just around the edges. If I were doing this in end grain, I would start by making a flat work table large enough to support the entire top + the rails for a router sled. Could be temporary, but must be flat. I would also make the top in smaller sections, then glue up the sections to make the whole. I'd make things maybe 1/2" to 1" thicker than planned to accomodate the flattening process.

This won't be cheap, but could be pretty awsome once it is done.

• Like 1

My first question to clear up what seems to be a confusing topic here is what grain orientation are you going to be using? Are you going to using long grain like a butcher block counter top or are you using end grain like a butchers chopping block? I made this island top out of edge grain white oak and dyed to look like walnut. I ended up using dye because none of the stains I tried even came close to looking like walnut. The dimensions are 36" x 48" x 1.5". Like you I would have rather used Walnut but the customer didn't have the money for that.

13450730_1800843516868465_442915598657666181_n.jpg

• Like 1

Walnut will cost you a fortune.  I second Mike's suggestion to use ash.  Red oak would be another cheap option.  They both take stain well and they're hard enough to be suitable for a table.  Just beware that they both have large pores and will look terrible under a heavy film finish, especially if it's glossy.

• Like 1