Need help with miters

Riley

Depending on the width of the board, I would probably use my miter (chop) saw.  The biggest thing is proper set up, you need to make sure your saws detents are actually correct.  This is also true if using a track saw.  The best way to do miters in my opinion is with a hand plane and shooting board.

ps. Welcome to the forum

• Like 1

I've had the best luck using my miter saw. Just ensure it's set up correctly by checking the angles and adjusting the blade. I also lock down the sliding portion of my saw if I don't need it. I tried using my MFT and track saw once but thought it took way too much time compared with my miter saw.

The real bugger is that even once you get the miters cut to perfection you have to figure out how to clamp it together just right.  They sell strap clamps for that sort of thing and they work great: https://smile.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-3416405-Band-Clamp/dp/B0000DD1P8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1469415057&sr=8-3&keywords=strap+clamp 

But without knowing more about the specifics of the frame I can't really say more than that.  I made a huge picture frame a little over a year ago - 3 feet by 3 feet - and it was a huge pain to get glued up square.  But I'd never made a frame before either, lol!  Jumped in at the deep end of the pool on that one.

Just want to say thank you to everyone for all the advice. 

at this point it sounds like mitered corners might be to hard for me, my skill and my equipment. 

I did just buy my first plane so i guess i could try to build a shooting board or maybe buy a miter box. 

Or maybe i find a different plan. maybe instead of a mitered frame i could do dovetails that way exposed end grain won't look horrible. 

What I'm trying to build is something like a small table to play board games on. currently the design I'm using some baltic birch and farming it with some 1x2" poplar, then attaching some legs for it to stand on. 

thanks again,

-Riley 

If you have the 1x2 up on edge, so that the miter is just across the 3/4" width of the frame then that is much more forgiving than going across the width of a wider board.  You can totally do that with just a well performing chop saw.

With that said, I think I would go with something a little beefier than a 1x2 if that's all that's going to be giving you a connection to the legs of a table.  Typically the legs are attached together with a rail and the top sits on top of that.  The rail could be attached to the legs with pocket screws.  

18 minutes ago, krtwood said:

If you have the 1x2 up on edge, so that the miter is just across the 3/4" width of the frame then that is much more forgiving than going across the width of a wider board.  You can totally do that with just a well performing chop saw.

I discovered this while making my recent frame, which is 22x36. I noticed that when I did the main frame this way my miters came out great and matched up nearly perfectly. However, I added another mitered "frame" for the inside so that my artwork rests on top and cut it across the width. The miters on this piece were not near as good as the main piece. Maybe I wasn't as careful, knowing the subframe wouldn't be seen, but it sounds like technique. 

1 hour ago, Riley said:

at this point it sounds like mitered corners might be to hard for me, my skill and my equipment. 

Or maybe i find a different plan. maybe instead of a mitered frame i could do dovetails 

Don't run away from the mitered corners.  Undertaking something a bit beyond your current abilities is how you grow your skills. 

And if your finding metres hard at this current stage,  not sure how you will fare with dovetails. That's akin to I'm having trouble learning to swim so I need to jump into a white water river.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arrdenet said:

The real bugger is that even once you get the miters cut to perfection you have to figure out how to clamp it together just right.  They sell strap clamps for that sort of thing and they work great: https://smile.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-3416405-Band-Clamp/dp/B0000DD1P8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1469415057&sr=8-3&keywords=strap+clamp 

But without knowing more about the specifics of the frame I can't really say more than that.  I made a huge picture frame a little over a year ago - 3 feet by 3 feet - and it was a huge pain to get glued up square.  But I'd never made a frame before either, lol!  Jumped in at the deep end of the pool on that one.

You need to make yourself a picture frame clamp like this one......

Makingapictureframe012_zps62cec36f.jpg

For more information see my post in "Jigs and Fixtures"

Here's the easiest way that I've found to clamp a miter joint:

• Use a large drop of medium CA to glue triangular blocks near the corner of your miter. 
  • Apply glue liberally to the joint
  • Clamp the ever lovin' crap out of it. 
  • Enjoy 
  • :D

gallery_2195_715_130407.jpg

After the glue dries, saw the blocks off, then plane flush. 

Don't be tempted to knock the blocks off with a hammer or a chisel. You will most likely tear out some wood.

12 hours ago, Gary said:

Here's the easiest way that I've found to clamp a miter joint:

• Use a large drop of medium CA to glue triangular blocks near the corner of your miter. 
  • Apply glue liberally to the joint
  • Clamp the ever lovin' crap out of it. 
  • Enjoy 
  • :D

gallery_2195_715_130407.jpg

After the glue dries, saw the blocks off, then plane flush. 

Don't be tempted to knock the blocks off with a hammer or a chisel. You will most likely tear out some wood.

I just read Steve's post and he makes a great point about not framing around a solid field. The example I used above is cherry plywood with solid mitered trim. So, no real concerns about movement. Still sold as a rock years later. :)