did you ever order something....

Eric.

....so long ago that you completely forgot it was even a thing that existed?  And then one day like six months later it shows up on your porch and you don't even really remember ordering it?  I mean you're glad to have this thing I guess, but you kind of just don't really need it and whatever excitement caused you to buy it the day you bought it is long gone and now you just kind of wish you had your couple hundred dollars back? LOL

Anyway, it's cool I guess.  Will be great for calibrating my MFT.  That's why I bought it, after all.

DSC_0021_2.jpg

• Like 2

I used to order stuff all the time. Nothing cool like a square I'd use once, but other things.

Ebay is the worst for stuff like that. I've gotten things in the mail and had to verify if I actually bought it or if it was sent by accident. 

I ordered a violin peg taper cutter (like a big pencil sharpener) from eBay a few years back and it took ages to turn up. Not quite six months but at least a couple or three months. I had given up and it then arrived. It had come all the way from China probably by snail mail and it was really good quality when it turned up. Worth the wait? Probably not but it's in my luthier tool box now waiting for somebody to bring in another violin repair.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mat60 said:

OK...It did hapten one time when I ordered  Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Addition 2016

That's the edition where the models try basic algebra right? ?

Spoiler: it's a good thing they are beautiful!

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

....so long ago that you completely forgot it was even a thing that existed?  And then one day like six months later it shows up on your porch and you don't even really remember ordering it?  I mean you're glad to have this thing I guess, but you kind of just don't really need it and whatever excitement caused you to buy it the day you bought it is long gone and now you just kind of wish you had your couple hundred dollars back? LOL

Anyway, it's cool I guess.  Will be great for calibrating my MFT.  That's why I bought it, after all.

DSC_0021_2.jpg

This forum convinced me to buy this as well. It arrived last week and I was like, wtf do I do with this?

• Like 1

I do a fair amount of research on some of the things I buy but when I am ready to make a purchase I done waiting.  Wood Pecker does have nice stuff but I don't have the patience to buy a lot of their stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I haven't yet but comes November I might be in the same boat. I recently ordered the set of 3 Paolini rules. I will probably forget by the time they arrive.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I ordered those as well, I may have forgotten them until I read this post - but I know I'll find use for them. There are a few of those OTT that are amazing I think. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I haven't yet but comes November I might be in the same boat. I recently ordered the set of 3 Paolini rules. I will probably forget by the time they arrive.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This forum convinced me to buy those as well. You guys are really hard on my budget. I'm not even a real woodworker yet and I have measuring and layout tools out the wazoo. My favorite is the vesper dovetail square. 

• Like 1

I'll use it for more than just calibrating the MFT (yes @Cliff, you have to make the track square to the fence).  I can use it for setting up track saw cuts and laying out on bigger parts, or anything else that an 18" combo square would normally do...and I don't usually have an 18" combo square handy because I keep the 12" blade in my square.  I'm sure I'll grab for it often enough to justify the purchase.  So while it's still a fairly niche item and I did buy it for a specific purpose, it will be useful for more than just that one specific purpose.  I don't totally regret buying it, I just wasn't excited about receiving it as I was ordering it.

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I'll use it for more than just calibrating the MFT (yes @Cliff, you have to make the track square to the fence).  I can use it for setting up track saw cuts and laying out on bigger parts, or anything else that an 18" combo square would normally do...and I don't usually have an 18" combo square handy because I keep the 12" blade in my square.  I'm sure I'll grab for it often enough to justify the purchase.  So while it's still a fairly niche item and I did buy it for a specific purpose, it will be useful for more than just that one specific purpose.  I don't totally regret buying it, I just wasn't excited about receiving it as I was ordering it.

I guess the hangover is never better than the high :) 

Look at it this way, its like a free tool showed up because that $180 is long gone and forgotten.  

It would be really handy for marking wide cross cuts.  Combo squares are rarely accurate.  

Woodpeckers stuff is nice for sure. Last year when I bought the giant framing square I thought I better use this thing a whole lot given the cost. It was invaluable during the vanity build, parts of the Roubo build, and for setting up my tracksaw for breaking down ply. I'm sure you'll have some projects where you're more than glad you got it and then other times where you're wondering how much use do you really get out of this giant triangle. 

• Like 1