flattening with hand plane video

Tom King

I'm 66.  Anyone older than that by a decade or so might be getting to the point of being an older guy.  I thought you were talking about me being an older guy.

People have asked me why I don't retire.  I say that if I didn't work, I'd have to work to stay in shape, so I might as well work to make money.

This was the last of the panels I was talking about in this thread: 

I had put off finishing this last panel while I was waiting for the lights to come.  I should have thought to save two in case I messed up.  I don't know how to edit anything yet, so this is right out of the camera.

I hate that I forgot to turn the mic on.  I had made an effort to explain what I was doing the whole time, and the pauses were because I was talking about something.

Sharpening video taken that I did remember the mic.   I probably won't forget it again after this. It takes a long time to download a HD video to youtube. 

• Like 1

I watched it a appreciated it even without sound. I also learned something, you have to give it some elbow grease even with well sharpened blades. For some reason i had it in my mind that my novice sharpening was causing me to work way harder. Also using the side of the plane to check for flatness ... seems so simple never thought of it.

The first plane I used was to the point that I would have sharpened it if there were more to do.  After working on not much else the first morning tackling that pile of panels, I sharpened after I came back from lunch.  I think I was about halfway through the 32 panels.  So with nothing more to judge by than that guess, I'm thinking that plane had done that to about 15 previous panels that size.

All those planes are just stock Stanleys.  All that Cypress has a lot of Cypressiene in it, so it's almost like it's lubricated anyway.  I would have used the second plane to start the same sort of process on hardwood, and it would have taken longer.

I really needed to left hand the other side a little more with the finishing planes, or turn it around, but didn't know how that would show in the video.  Also, the shavings haven't been cleaned up yet, and they are about knee deep on the other side of the bench, so I didn't want to wade in them.

Sharpening video coming, but they take hours to load, so I'll start loading it when I go to bed tonight.

I like the video without sound as well.  Or you could overdub "Leaving on a jet plane," personally I like the Peter Paul and Mary version (It was one of my dad's favorites) but Bob Denver's is ok too.  

I like the video without sound as well.  Or you could overdub "Leaving on a jet plane," personally I like the Peter Paul and Mary version (It was one of my dad's favorites) but Bob Denver's is ok too.  

Wow, I never new Gilligan released a cover of that song. Leaving On A Jet Plane would have been a great way off the island.

• 7 months later...