Hand tool cabinet design

SawDustB

Hey guys,

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about trying to get my (garage) shop into better shape to make it more fun to work in... I had posted in the other thread about painting the walls, I've still got a workbench on my to-do list, and I'm looking a lot at storage. Right now my hand tools are scattered around the garage and mixed in with my power tools or with miscellaneous household stuff stored in the garage. I'm thinking the next priorities should be getting my walls painted and set up with better hanging storage to get the non-woodworking things out of my way, then I want to put up a hand tool cabinet. I'm not looking at going completely over-the-top detailed with this, since I just don't have the time. To start, I suspect it might just be a cabinet with plane/saw storage and some shelves, and I'll go from there. My inclination right now is to build something from Baltic birch, maybe with some accents out of something nicer. 

The space I have to work with is about 32" in height and up to 42" or so in width. I'm not set on dimensions yet, so I'm trying to figure that out (maybe 32x36?). The area I'm looking at will be on the wall above and behind where I want my bench to go, starting at about 18" off the bench surface (think upper kitchen cabinet height).

The things I need to store in there to start (recognizing that I have quite a few more I want to get):

• 2 small japanese saws
  • Pair of LV carcass saws (haven't bought them yet, but I plan to before the workbench)
  • Fret saw & coping saw
  • 2 block planes
  • 4 bench planes (Stanley 4, 5, 6, and I'd like to get a LV low angle for shooting)
  • Router plane and rabbet plane
  • Spokeshave and cabinet scraper
  • Card scrapers
  • 10 or so chisels
  • A couple of files (also planning on adding a few rasps)
  • Misc measuring tools (squares, angle gauges, rulers, etc)
  • Strop and plane supplies

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, but that's the majority so far.

What have you done for storing your hand tools? There are so many designs, some of which seem kind of impractical to me. I'm leaning towards a cabinet that has an inset in the door that hinges out, to give more hanging space for small stuff. I can't decide if drawers are a good idea or not. I like the angled plane till, and right now I'm leaning towards a vertical saw till in the cabinet rather than putting them on the doors. If there are other threads I should look at, let me know!

@Eric that cabinet's beautiful. That's pretty much exactly what I would love to have eventually. Is it plywood for the front and back, and solid wood for everything else? I'd considered trying something similar, but I was trying to figure out if that would be a pain because of wood movement.

Gee - I like your square  holder. Putting them on a slight angle saves a lot of space.

SawDustB - one thing to think about when you mount your cabinet is how far you can reach over your workbench. I am short and have short arms, so I can't comfortably reach more than about 6 1/2 feet over my bench. It puts a serious crimp in my cabinet height.

Eric - very nice cabinet!

• Like 1

@gee-dub thanks for the details. You've obviously put in s lot of thought. I don't have my tool collection completed yet by any means, so I'll have to leave some flexibility.

@Robby W I'm not too worried about reaching the cabinet. I'm 6' 1" with arms on the longer so while the very top may be a stretch over a bench, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm also OK with having more occasional storage at the top.

5 hours ago, SawDustB said:

@Robby W I'm not too worried about reaching the cabinet. I'm 6' 1" with arms on the longer so while the very top may be a stretch over a bench, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm also OK with having more occasional storage at the top.

Now I am officially jealous....?

• Like 1

After looking around the web a bit, the cabinets I liked the look of the best were Marc's and this one from Fine Woodworking (winter 2014 tools & shops issue):

011237032_hand-tool-cabinet_md.jpg

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/57874/build-a-hanging-tool-cabinet

I think this is the design I'm going to model mine after, although I'll be cutting the height down and maybe adding a couple of planes worth of width to use my space better. When it comes to the actual tool holders, I'll be borrowing ideas from everywhere.

• Like 2

SawDustB if/when you build please do a project journal I would love to follow that build. I have that cabinet on my list currently building the Mike Pekovich tool chest.

Sure, I can do that. Like I said, I'll have to modify the design some but I intend to follow it where I can.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1