Using previous component in new drawing

Tom Crawford

This must be simple but I can not figure out how to do it. I have a couple components in a previous drawing I would like to use in a new drawing.  I can not figure out how to do it.  If I select Open Local Collection in the new drawing component window all components in the list including the ones I want are grayed out and cannot be selected.  Hope it is not necessary to buy Pro as that is not feasible financially. 

I agree with h3nry, the simplest way I know to do this is to copy and paste.  Open up the old drawing file, select the component you want to use.  Copy using your favorite method (CTRL-C, Edit/Copy) and the component will be in your clipboard.  Open up the new drawing, and paste (CTRL-V, or Edit/Paste).

Works just like Excel or Word, or most other programs that use the normal windows clipboard.

I'm not familiar with the "Open Local Collection" option you mention but I've always just copied and pasted. So I'd do this
1. Open the original Sketchup file.
2. Select instances of all the components you want.
3. Copy them into the clipboard. (Ctrl C)
4. Close the file and open the new file
5. Paste the clipboard (Ctrl V)
6. Now you can delete the pasted instances if you want, the components are still in your components palette.

*** EDIT ***
Jeez you guys are quick. :)

Another method . . I have a folder called 'Components'.  I keep things like clamps, casters, drawer boxes, motors, pulls, hinges and so forth there.

Select 'File' from the menu and click on 'Import':

SU Import Comp-1.JPG

Browse to your 'Components' folder and select the object you want:

SU Import Comp-2.JPG

Click Open and the object is imported into the current drawing and selected:

SU Import Comp-3.JPG

The file browser in the Components window (what opens when you click on "Open or Save a local collection") only goes to the folder lever. Click on the folder where your file lives, and the contents of that folder will be visible in the Components window. You can right-click over any component and select "Save As" to store it for use in other files.

Copy + Paste works fine for a one time use, but getting the hang of the file browser in the components window will be more efficient if you have something you think you'll use on a regular basis.

On 8/3/2016 at 5:48 PM, Bob Lang said:

The file browser in the Components window (what opens when you click on "Open or Save a local collection") only goes to the folder lever. Click on the folder where your file lives, and the contents of that folder will be visible in the Components window. You can right-click over any component and select "Save As" to store it for use in other files.

Where is this "Open or Save a local collection" option? I can't seem to find it anywhere in my Sketchup. I'm using Sketchup Make v16.1.1449

CompWindowDetals.jpg

In the Components window, to the right of the search box is an icon labeled "Details". That opens a file browser (goes to the folder level) and you can access other SketchUp models on your computer. Any models in the folder you select will appear in the Components window and you can drag them into the model you're working on.