Help! Used wrong cleaner on wood cabinets - how to remove white film/stain

asmith16

Hi all,

I was stupid, and sprayed the metal handles on my cabinets with an all purpose cleaner - I'd done this before and had no issue, but usually immediately wiped after spraying. This time, I let it sit for about 25 seconds. The surrounding wood began to turn white, so I threw water on it and attempted to wipe off the cleaner with paper towels - the result was making the stain much larger. 

I'm having trouble discerning if this is residue/a coating I need to remove, or if I've stripped the finishing off. In either case, I'm not sure what to do to fix this issue. Any advice you have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Photo Jul 30, 19 04 11.jpg

Photo Jul 30, 19 04 45.jpg

Photo Jul 30, 19 04 52.jpg

Photo Jul 30, 19 04 21.jpg

Edited by asmith16
typo

How does the affected area feel? Does it feel as smooth as the rest of the door, or is it rough, with more friction when you lightly touch it?   If so, you probably damaged the finish and no amount of cleaning will fix it.   

If it is simply a cloudy residue, try some Murphy's Oil Soap to clean it off. To rejuvenate the sheen of the finish, I have been impressed with the results of using Scott's Liquid Gold.

http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/scotts-liquid-gold/

Both products are commonly available from most home centers. If it turns out to be damage, rather than residue, you are in for a somewhat more complicated job of repair.

The first picture in your post looks like there are some lighter-colored streaks on the door.  Are those camera glare, or is it the natural color of the wood showing through from where the stain has been removed?  If the stain has been removed like that, you're in for quite a refinishing project.  That or a "good enough for government work" repair job if you're not that worried about it.

How old are the cabinets? The finish might have a warranty.   Steve (wdwerker) knows more about KCMA standards, but I think a properly applied catalyzed finish should withstand occasional exposure to a mutli purpose cleaner.  

5 minutes ago, Mike. said:

How old are the cabinets? The finish might have a warranty.   Steve (wdwerker) knows more about KCMA standards, but I think a properly applied catalyzed finish should withstand occasional exposure to a mutli purpose cleaner.  

Nope, not me but " Particle Board" knew all about KCMA standards. Unfortunately he is no longer posting here. Another possibility is someone used a wax over the finish and that is what turned white.