BLO finish and surface prep samples

Ronn W

Just for my own amusement I made 3 sample boards.  All had 3 applications of BLO only.  The first was rubbed in with 600 grit and 2nd and third were just puddled on and wiped off after a few minutes.  Sample 1 was hard maple with sections of the board sanded to various grits - 120, 150, 180, 220, 320 and 400. The second was walnut sanded the same and the 3rd was white oak sanded the same.  After 3 applications I learned the following:

The hard maple finish appears and feels the same for all the various grits.  So no reason to sand more than 120 grit.

The walnut finish varied slightly in texture visually and to the touch up to 320 grit with no noticeable difference between 320 and 400.  So it does matter what grit you sand to and it becomes a matter or preference. I am looking for "I love the feel of this", so I would sand to 320.

The white oak - same as the walnut. 

The sanding does not affect the color or the "pop" of the grain.

The differences are slight and do not show up weil in photos.

FYI

• Like 1

Good stuff.  The forums are a great source for sharing different experiences.  When I step through the grits to 400 there is a definite difference from when I stop at a lower grit.  This seems to hold true with things as soft as shedua through things as hard as ebony. 

I often use an oil varnish blend that includes BLO.  On lighter woods like hard maple I will sand to higher grits (or use a hand plane) on end grain and raised panel profiles to even out absorption and coloration.  The difference in feel for coarser grits disappears for me under thicker film finishes however.