black limba hall / sofa table

galturner

Beautifully designed and executed.  I don't share your enthusiasm about bug holes, but otherwise you're right...it's neat looking stuff.  I've never worked with it.  It just has that look of brittle wood like zebra and wenge...am I right?

As an aside...I don't think the black lines are spalt...I think it's just the wood's natural grain color like tigerwood, marblewood, zebrawood, etc.  Could be wrong, but I don't think so.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, galturner said:

hi eric...no it is not brittle... yes, you are wrong about the spalt.  usually the wood is quite plain, rather ugly really.  But this does have the sometimes seen black streaks, but it also has spalt. spalt is not always dark..it can be light colored too.

Just did some digging on black limba...wow...670 Janka...that's extremely soft for an exotic!  Had no idea.

I'm still gonna disagree with you about the black coloration.  That's grain, not spalt.  Do a little research and you'll see it's one of the characteristics that differentiates "black limba" from "white limba" or simply "limba."  I can see why you might think it's spalting, but it's not.

Anyway, the top of your hall table is an especially attractive panel.  Very well done on the whole piece.

glad you like it eric.  I never said the black was spalt..you did.  I said spalt is not always black..it is light colored too.  pictures are hard to see things in, but it is there.  

WTNhighlander...I'd ask for pictures before I drove an hour.  Limba can be very boring and ugly.  the black streaks you see here, are somewhat common, but not as heavy as you see in this.  I took three boards and "condensed" the lovely streaking.  If you do drive, prepare yourself to pay a premium for the streaking...good luck, and I hope you find something that rocks your woodie soul, and make something & share it with us.

• Like 1

Talk about a piece that fits the location; wonderful scale, style and coloration. Your efforts on the figure matching on the top paid off in spades.

I am jealous in that I cannot find a spot for a hallway/sofa table in my home.  I really want one of my own.  At least I get to make them for others ***sigh***