My Second Segmented Bowl

midorikamakiri

Usually no wood movement problems with pieces so small. Also the end product is mostly decorative so not exposed to much moisture that could cause swelling . A good finish would be smart to slow any changes in moisture content. Checking the moisture content of the boards being used would be prudent. A big difference could cause problems but different species may read higher or lower, read the manual with your meter it should have a chart or explanation . 

After many years tiny cracks wouldn't surprise me but they probably wouldn't have any affect on the piece as a whole thing.

First, it is quite a bowl for a first.  Congrats.  I have been making and selling segmented bowls for over 30 yrs, so I have a lot of  real world experience.  I will share a bit with you today. Your feature ring, being end grain, IS A PROBLEM.  You may see people doing it, but that does not mean it is not problematic.  You just never see anyone posting 6 mos later, that the bowl cracked, or whatever else happened to it. Sure, you might get by with it, but wood reacts differently in different climates. If you want to increase your skills, and learn  more, there is a website attached to the AAW  especially for segmented turners.  You might want to check it out.  Thanks for sharing your bowl. It is terrific for a first.

I agree with galturner if you are selling and shipping especially. The bigger the bowl the more likely that grain orientation can cause problems. It amazes me what sometimes works but long term and varied conditions will have an affect. A small bowl for local decorative use might be safe enough but learning from experienced turners is smart to step up your skills.

Looks good, have only turned one segmented thing so far but plan on doing more when I have time.  One thing that looks confusing as hell is people doing the crazy feature rings, gonna do a lot of reading before I try something like that.  Of course my first segmented turning, the wife decided to put it on a shelf right under an air vent during winter so it got blown with hot air off and on constantly which made the wood move.  Since all the grain was going the same way it was fine technically, the feel went from nice and smooth to being able to feel each segment which sucks, but since it just sits there, no one will know.