Bailey #4 Dating

Mcdavid

I'm sure this has been done 1000 times over but I bought a Stanley Bailey #4 at a flea market today for $12. I believe I made a good purchase based on various forum and websites I have seen on dating. I don't have a lot of experience in this field and would love anyone else's expertise.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

http://hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/

Doesn't matter how old, from what I see $12 was a good grab. 

Yeah $12 isn't bad at all for a plane especially given its lack of rust for the most part. I have a buck brothers #4 that I attempt to smooth with but it has become more of a scrub plane. I was just worried I was blinded by the Bailey name and bought a clunker.

It was made during word war 2!  I know that by the advanceing knob.. Prior to ww2 they were brass, after ww2 they were brass. during the war the were made from a plastic that I can't remember the name of!  It doesn't matter, with the proper care and good tuning, it'll make a good smoothing plane!

• Like 1

On August 7, 2016 at 4:19 PM, RichardA said:

It was made during word war 2!  I know that by the advanceing knob.. Prior to ww2 they were brass, after ww2 they were brass. during the war the were made from a plastic that I can't remember the name of!  It doesn't matter, with the proper care and good tuning, it'll make a good smoothing plane!

I believe its Bakelite, or something how ever it's spelled.

EDIT, I see that someone beat me to the answers.

A Type 17, WWII vintage ('42-'45) characteristics are thicker castings on the cheeks, giving the plane some heft, steel screws on the knob and tote, which are hardwood and not rosewood, lack of a frog adjusting screw (although they do show up with them sometimes) as well as the Bakelite iron adjusting wheel, although they also come with steel adjusting wheels.  Some have the date of the iron manufacture indicated on the back of the iron, a "342" for example means the third fiscal quarter of 1942, so check for evidence of three digits, then you can date the plane pretty accurately.  The T17s make excellent users.