Any New Mattress Owners?

Rex Edgar

We finally need a new mattress  and I have heard some of the commercials on the radio and TV regarding the 'arrive in a box' mattresses. Casper. Helix and half a dozen others show up in searches. Has anyone purchased one of these units and what do you like and dislike? They advertise '100 nights', if unsatisfied, they will pay to have the unit donated to charity and refund your payment. The missus kind of wants to test drive the mattress at the showroom. These stores have prices triple what these bed in a box companies want. Any experiences to share?

I have one that I purchased several years ago, long before I ever heard of Casper. A king-sized mattress, came in a box that would fit in a Honda Civic trunk. Heavy, though. Be sure to wrestle it onto the bed before breaking the seal on the plastic, as it won't have enough rigidity to move afterward, without several extra pairs of hands.

Mine has 4" of memory foam on top of 10" of normal "high density" foam. It is quite firm, which took some acclimation, but helps my back tremendously. My wife didn't take to it so well. I wound up sawing it down to twin size, and getting her a Sleep Number twin to go next to it.

Cutting a 14" x 6.5' mattress in half, straight, makes hand resawing a 2x10 seem like child's play. If you happen to have a king bed, buy two twin mattresses, so you only have to replace one.

Don't know anything about those beds in boxes but I share the others' hesitation about buying a bed without laying on it.  Sounds like a disaster.

We just got a new bed because of the tree incident.  Simmons Beautyrest plush.  It's amazing.  "Black" is their top of the line...ours is the next one down.  We actually liked the feel of this one better and it was less than half the price.  I think it was around $2200 for a king.

And like Pug said, they delivered and set it up for free.  They would have taken the old one also but we needed it out of our way...craigslist and ten minutes later it was gone.

We bought a memory foam mattress about a year ago, it was from a store, but came in a box for delivery and set up by the store.  We tried 5 or 6 different models at the store, and I think this is a valuable thing to do, because it is a heavy mother and I wouldn't want to move it if I didn't like it.

A girlfriend got one of those memory foam mattresses a few years ago. It's comfortable but you get hot and keep flipping over to cool off.  I'm happy with my Sealy Posturepedic. Beds are such a personal choice trying them out first is the only way to know. A liberal return policy is your second line of defense .

Studies comparing beds ( I have done a paid one) seem to always have mixed results. No one agreed on one but out of 16 choices there were 3 or 4 that were popular. All of them turned out to be one manufacturers attempts to compete with their competitors models. Different types of coils & memory foam combinations and a wide range of prices. The only clear result was no one picked the cheapest models as favorites !

We have a tempurpedic at our condo, I really like it.  It stays cool in the summer and is fairly firm   

Both my wife and I prefer extra firm mattresses.  In our primary house we have a simmons extra firm.  I don't know which line it is, I paid about $2000 for a queen back in 2007.  It is still comfortable and does not sag at all.  

Ross I can't believe you sawed a mattress in half!. 

Sleep Number beds seem gimmicky but they are well made.  A friend of mine used to manage one of their stores and has had hers for 15 yrs.  

I'd say that since you spend half your life in bed, it would be a big risk to buy a mattress without first trying it out. Most of the better mattresses offer an in home trial period allowing you to return the mattress in exchange for another one if the first one you picked out just doesn't work for you.

There's a lot to be said for having the store deliver and set up your new mattress and removing the old one.

I recently bought a Serta memory foam mattress with a motion base. It's pretty heavy so I was glad I didn't have to move it and set it up. It has some kind of cooling gel in the foam and we sleep very comfortably at night. The motion base is wonderful. I think we paid close to $3000 for ours.

I personally would never buy a mattress without trying it out first at the mattress store.

20 minutes ago, Keggers said:

I'd say that since you spend half your life in bed

Damn Kent, you get a lotta sleep my friend! :D

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I may be cheap enough to buy a bed in a box, but a used mattress? O, heck no!

We didn't sell it, we gave it.  A teenage girl was going off to college and her dad picked it up for her.  I guess she's on a scholarship and doesn't have any money because I wouldn't wanna sleep on someone's used mattress either.  And by used, I mean bow-chicka-wow-wow.  Oh yeah.

• Like 2

OP, This is starting to sound like a scam to me.

Not many company's would let you use something for more than 30 days and then refund your money without getting the item returned at all. How would they know if you recycled it or just used it for the guest room?

Not to mention that the price is 1/3 of a normal retail outlet (1/2 price is a bit of a stretch) and shipping something as large as a mattress would be very costly on top of that.

I'm VERY leery  of things that sound too good to be true because they are probably NOT true.

52 minutes ago, Rapid Roger said:

OP, This is starting to sound like a scam to me.

Not many company's would let you use something for more than 30 days and then refund your money without getting the item returned at all. How would they know if you recycled it or just used it for the guest room?

Not to mention that the price is 1/3 of a normal retail outlet (1/2 price is a bit of a stretch) and shipping something as large as a mattress would be very costly on top of that.

I'm VERY leery  of things that sound too good to be true because they are probably NOT true.

Donated to charity ! They get a write off and some local charity picks it up for free, win-win. They would have to pay freight and then have something that they couldn't sell as new. I bet the return rate is quite low. Plenty of people won't decide until after the time limit is up.

5 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Donated to charity ! They get a write off and some local charity picks it up for free, win-win. They would have to pay freight and then have something that they couldn't sell as new. I bet the return rate is quite low. Plenty of people won't decide until after the time limit is up.

What charity do you know of that takes used mattress's ? I know that our Salvation Army or any other charity in town won't touch a used mattress.

The local prison does recycle some of the stuffing and springs from mattresses' to remake other mattresses' but, that is all that I know of and they don't pay for the raw materials.  

10 minutes ago, Rapid Roger said:

What charity do you know of that takes used mattress's ? I know that our Salvation Army or any other charity in town won't touch a used mattress.

The local prison does recycle some of the stuffing and springs from mattresses' to remake other mattresses' but, that is all that I know of and they don't pay for the raw materials.  

Same here, but the homeless shelters take them. 

• Like 1

I have a bed in a box we bought from macy's about 3 years ago.  It was about the $550 mark so not super spendy but from day one,  it was too firm for my wife.  I can sleep anywhere and on anything so I don't care but she's not a fan.  It does have 3" of memory foam on top which I really don't like.   It makes it hard to move once you lay down. 

10 hours ago, wdwerker said:

A girlfriend got one of those memory foam mattresses a few years ago. It's comfortable but you get hot and keep flipping over to cool off.  

I'm still trying to figure out if you're complaining about the mattress or bragging about your prowess in bed;)

• Like 2