Your Support Really Helps!

• 2 months later...

$20 donated - no fancy tag or recognition required.  And the ads don't bother me.  It's like white noise on the Internet these days.

I was wondering about Marc this morning while jogging.  I really enjoy the learning content that he provides.  I'd like to see this continue, purely for selfish reasons, as I enjoy learning the craft of woodworking and producing high quality items.  What caught my attention is all of the recent mark-downs on projects.  Like every other red-blooded American, I love sales.  But my question to the audience is "does it matter"?  I would be willing to pay double the price for projects.

In my area (Dallas, TX), I've seen woodworking schools and programs close.  It's always due to participation and funding. I'm thinking that for the first time, I may buy some projects that I have no intention of completing.  I feel that strongly in supporting what Marc is doing: providing a sound method of learning a craft/art that quite frankly is dying (show your completed Wood Whisperer projects around the office and decide for yourself how many people could tackle something like it).

Everyone has their own circumstances and I respect all.  While I don't have any insight into the financials of the Guild, I suspect that Marc isn't shopping for an estate in the Hamptons.  If you feel inclined to discuss, what would you be willing to pay for a project? 

I completed the Roubo workbench and I love the thing.  I would have been willing to spend $300 for that project.  It was that valuable to me.

BTW, does anyone else follow Jimmy DiResta on YouTube / online?  The guy is amazing.  He seems to do a limited edition cast resin figure of himself, for sale to his fans.  $125 a piece.  It's clearly a fundraising thing for him.  I have no issue with that.  I'd love to see Marc Spagnuolo do the same.

https://toybacker.com/projects/diresta-limited-edition-premium-cast-resin-figure/

We actually don't have many sales in the Guild. We consider it to be a premium product and the price generally reflects that. While there are a special few who might not balk at an even higher price tag, the vast majority would. We always have to walk that balance between premium pricing and ridiculous pricing. Compared to other online services in the woodworking arena, I think we're probably one of the most expensive. But I stand behind the prices 100% because of the overall value. I actually think it's worth more but I have to keep in mind what the market will bear. So yes, the price definitely matters. 

As far as these sales go, we tried not to present any false pretenses at all. Bottom line is we're moving and moving is expensive. It doesn't help that we're moving to a place where the real estate is much more expensive. So we needed to pad our checking account just so we could pull this whole thing off comfortably. I'll also have some significant expenses with regard to turning the new garage into a shop, so I need a little buffer there as well. Once these sales are done, you won't likely see a sale in the Guild for another year. The Early Bird Bundle is the only ongoing sale that really make sense for us. And honestly, you can't beat it at a 50% discount. 

As for general fund-raising, we have a few things available for purchase at http://twwstore.com And we're looking to start a Patreon campaign for The Wood Whisperer as soon as we have time to work on the rewards and goals. The thing is actually live already but we haven't promoted it yet: https://www.patreon.com/woodwhisperer

Thanks for your support SeventyFix! 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Marc. 

Like many others, the adds don't bother me in the slightest. I paid the fee to assist with the costs as I know the amount of time for little reward that youtubers receive. I do have a question though. I am a supporter but I am seeing an add top right. As said I don't care but thought you may want to know.

I hope the colder weather isn't too hard to handle after your desert dwelling and I had noticed the beard. :)

The ads dont bother me at all on Tapatalk. ;-)

But thanks for keeping this forum alive Mark. There are some extremely talented woodworkers here, and this has become my favorite woodworking forum. Im not a supporter here but have contributed in other ways through merchandise and such. Im not a social media guy... at all... so the forum format is still my preffered way to talk to other woodworkers and whine about stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1